There are many kinds of kitchen knives found in the homes today all meant for different purposes. If you’re looking to purchase normal household knives, you can get them individually or in set like the Wusthof knife set which is a respectable knife brand. There are two major kinds of knives: the dining knives used normally for formal dinners and the kitchen knives used in food preparation.
Below is a list of the kinds of knives you may need in your home together with their individual uses.
Various Types of Dining Knives
This is one of the most common types of knives. It is around 5 to 6 inches long, rounded and dull. Butter knives are usually non-serrated. There are two kinds of butter knives, the master butter knife and the individual butter knife.
Master butter knife: This is not used to apply butter to bread but rather, it is used to serve butter to individual plates. This prevents contaminating the large tub of butter with bread crumbs.
Individual butter knives: These are given to every individual and they are used to apply butter on bread.
In a formal dining setting it is both the heaviest and longest. It ranges between 91/4 to 9 ¾ inches.
This is the knife used to eat the main course meal and is used to manipulate the food on the plate.
This knife has a sharp tip with a serrated blade and its length approximately 81/4 to 9 inches.
It is usually very sharp and is mainly used to cut the thicker parts of meat that cannot be cut with a normal dinner knife.
Usually, it is not included in a dinner set but is bought individually.
It is spatula shaped with a tip with a notched point and measures at around 8 ¾ inches in length.
It is made specifically for eating fish. The notched point is used to for separating the fish’s skeleton from its flesh.
It is made of a narrow blade with a rounded or pointed tip and is usually around 8 inches long.
The pointed tip knife is used for hard desserts.
On the other hand, the type that has a tip that is round is meant to be used for soft desserts.
Various Types of Kitchen Knives
1) Peeler knife: This knife is generally utilized for peeling fruits. It is easy to use in removing skins and rinds of fruits and vegetables.
2) Paring knife: It is a small knife with a blade of around 7cm. This knife is used for small tasks around the kitchen especially those that require close control. It peels, pares and trims small vegetables and fruits and is used by many chefs for garnishing and creative work.
3) Boning knife: This knife is usually around 12cm long and must be very sharp. It can either be stiff or flexible. It is used for deboning meat.
4) Utility knife: They can come either serrated or with a sharp blade. They are generally medium sized and are normally used for miscellaneous tasks around the kitchen for example they can be used to peel and slice vegetables and fruits.
5) Chef knife: This knife is around 25cm in length and it usually has a broad blade a with a long carved edge. It is usually very sharp. The chef knife has quite a number of uses and is perhaps the most commonly used knife in kitchens. It can be used for dicing, chopping and slicing.
6) Bread knife: A bread knife has a scalloped blade that is best for cutting cakes and breads without squashing or crushing them.
7) Slicing/carving knife: It is a long knife with a sharp tip and a narrow blade. This type of knife is best used when dealing with larger pieces of meat.