Today, being slim and having a thin figure is considered to be the in thing. Many people, therefore, are working towards losing weight. Summer time is considered to be the best time for losing weight. Natural weight loss through exercise is becoming harder. Even young people are looking for a faster means of losing weight. For this reason, people are starting to opt for supplements for weight loss rather than merely exercising. These weight loss supplements are easily available and some are even bought over the counter at affordable prices.
Examples of Supplements for Weight Loss
Generally, supplements for weight loss are categorized as fat burners, appetite suppressors and fat blockers among others. They are made from the following components: stimulants, fat and carbohydrate metabolism modulators, appetite suppressors, agents that reduce depression related eating and fat absorption blockers. Various weight loss supplements are being used today. Some of the best supplements for weight loss found in the market are products containing the following:
- Alpha lipoic acid, abbreviated as ALA, is a universal anti-oxidant
- Carnitine is one of the most important nutrients for weight loss that helps burn fats
- Glutamine is an amino acid that breaks down muscle tissue when the body is in a highly inflammatory state.
The commonly used supplements for weight loss used include the following:
- Meal replacement bars and shakes
- Green tea extracts – Green tea suppresses the appetite and increases metabolism. It is considered to be one of the best natural supplements for weight loss.
- Fiber – Increasing dietary fiber intake will result to getting full but with minimal calorie intake. Fiber forms the greatest part of the herbal supplements for weight loss.
- Orlistat – An over the counter pill that helps one to lose weight.
- Calcium – This burns off fat and builds muscles. This is commonly used by athletes.
- Fish oil – Fish oil contains dimethylaminoethanol (DMAE) which kills pre-fat cells in order for them not to be converted as fat cells and Omega-3 fatty acids which increases blood flow and metabolism thus facilitating weight loss. Fish oil and weight loss are two things that go hand in hand.
Pros and Cons of Supplements for Weight Loss
Weight loss supplements have various advantages and disadvantages. Some of the advantages include the following:
- They provide a quick and less demanding weight loss regimen.
- Increase body metabolism hence a healthier heart and body.
- Results to fitness of the mind too.
There are also disadvantages related to using these weight loss supplements and they are the following:
- They could lead to heart attacks due to some pharmaceutical ingredients like ibutramine. This substance can cause increase in blood pressure, heart palpitations, seizures, stroke and worst, heart attack.
- More often than not, they lead to liver and gastrointestinal conditions like ulcers.
Supplements for weight loss have to be backed up with a healthy diet in order to avoid any adverse effects and harm to the body. Look for supplements that have been approved by DFA and have the seal of United States Pharmacopeia (USP). Ensure that you consult with a doctor before deciding on any type of weight supplement because they can cause harm if not properly administered. Burn those unwanted fats and be healthy both physically and mentally with these weight loss supplements.