Most of the poisonous plants are deceivingly attractive but can cause harm, both to animals and human beings. They can cause convulsions, headaches and even death. For more awareness, here are some of the most poisonous plants.


Of all the poisonous plants in the world, Oleander is considered to be the most poisonous since all of its parts, from the roots to the leaves, contain very strong poison. This ornamental evergreen shrub is commonly found in the Mediterranean areas and California. Ingestion of any part of Oleander plant causes the following:

worlds most deadliest oleander plant

  • Severe stomach pain
  • Diarrhea
  • Irregular heartbeat
  • Vomiting
  • Dizziness and drowsiness
  • Death

In order for you to be treated successfully, you can be given vomit-inducing drugs. Your doctor might also pump your stomach or feed you with activated charcoal to absorb much of the poison.

English Yew

English Yew is one of the poisonous plants that can be found commonly in Great Britain. It is an evergreen tree that has needle-like leaves and red fleshy seed coverings. Consumption of this plant’s leaves causes:

  • Trembling
  • Dry mouth
  • General body weakness
  • Blurred vision
  • Increased salivation
  • Irregular heart beat
  • Death

Before the symptoms get worse, your doctor can replace your fluids and bring back your regular heart beat by giving you some drugs.


Chrysanthemums, also referred to as Chrysanths or mums, are poisonous plants that often grow in people’s door steps around Thanksgiving and Halloween. They usually grow low to the ground and they have very showy pink flowers. Touching the flower heads of these plants can cause your body to swell and itch. In order to reduce the inflammation and itching, your doctor can recommend anti-allergic drugs.


Even though Caladium is very colorful and beautiful, it is also one of the most poisonous plants. It is a tropical plant that is native to Central and South America. The plant has heart-shaped leaves that can grow to a size of 7 Inches. Consuming parts of this plant, especially the Caladium bulbs can cause the following:

  • Choking
  • Burning of the mouth
  • Vomiting and/or nausea
  • Swelling of the eyes
  • Burning of the throat

Although it is very possible to recover from Caladium poisoning, your liver and kidney can be damaged permanently. In order to reduce some of the symptoms, you should gaggle a glass of water and then spit, after which you should drink 2 or 3 glasses of milk before you call your doctor.

avoid the deadly lily of the valley plant

Lily of the Valley

Lily of the valley is also one of the most poisonous plants that you should be wary of. It is a perennial plant that that forms wide colonies by spreading underground stems/stalks referred to as rhizomes. The flowers of this plant are white in color and bell-shaped. If you consume this plant, you can experience the following:

  • Abdominal pain
  • Vomiting and nausea
  • Painful mouth
  • Slow heartbeat
  • Cramps
  • Diarrhea

In order to get rid of the poison from your body, your doctor can pump your stomach or give you some drugs to enable your heart to function normally.

The list of poisonous plants is endless. Some include the rosary pea, deadly nightshade, white snakeroot and aconite. In order for you to ensure safety, knowledge and awareness of these plants will be of great help.