An undermount sink has the amazing capability of adding class and style to plain and even dull rooms. These sinks are installed to give clean lines and no visible seams between the top of the counter and the sink in itself. Provided a professional installer is given the task of installing the sink, it looks great on marble as well as tiled surfaces.
The main factor to consider in the installation of an undermount sink is the size of the room in which the sink will be installed. The right choices made on the style of undermount sink to go with is bound to bring about amazing results. A stainless steel utility sink is a good choice of sink for people with large families as these sinks provide for large space that is useful for chores like doing the dishes, washing your clothes and other washing chores available.
Installing Stainless Steel Undermount Sink
When choosing for stainless steel undermount sinks, there are several factors to consider before they are installed;
- Size – it is important to go for an undermount sink that fits for proper proportion and harmony of the equipments. This adds on to the aesthetic value of the room
- Presence of faucets – sinks usually come together with their corresponding faucets or you have to purchase them individually. Make sure first they come as a set to avoid double orders.
- Theme – stainless steel sinks are mainly for the kitchen. If they have to be used in bathrooms, one has to ensure that the bathroom theme goes in line with the stainless steel colour. Undermount bathroom sinks are really dangerous choice to go for, since matching is not always guaranteed to work.
If you are or have a handyman inside the house you can install them provided you are great with following instructions. The following are tips on how to install undermount sink successfully;
- Get a professional to cut an appropriately sized hole for the installation of the sink depending on the size and design of sink desired
- Make sure you test fit the sink to ensure that the hole was cut to the right size
- Secure the sink bowl firmly with bolts and screws
- Drill holes for the faucets then wait for about 24 hours before finally installing the faucets
Pros and Cons
Every utility has its own pros and cons. They are based on different factors and situations. The following are some of the disadvantages of an undermount sink:
- Cleaning the rim of undermount sinks is frustrating as scrubbing the rims leads to the damaging of the surface next to it.
- Under mount sinks cannot be used with laminate counter tops
- extra cost with sinks and counter top
- creates an environment for allowing germs to grow
Some of the advantages include the following;
- They have a perfect contemporary style especially for the modern home
- Its flash fitting design gives ones kitchen a flawless look
- The plumbing of these sinks is hidden under the cabinets
Undermount sinks are growing in popularity today because of the benefits that a person will get as compared to the regular sinks. It does its job in the kitchen or bathroom and more which most of the time the person is not expecting.
A sink is undoubtedly, one of the most integral parts of any kitchen. However, most people don’t even go for a second thought, while opting for a new sink. Instead, they just like to pick any simple one, which suits their budget. It is very important that you always choose the right one for your kitchen. Nowadays, several new and innovative designs are available in the market. Each and every design comes with its own list of features and utilities. Thus, you need to be very specific about your needs, while choosing a sink for your kitchen. Listed below are the top 7 sinks designers recommend mostly.
Must Have Sinks for Home
This particular type of sink is the most flexible design available in the market. It can simply be fitted on a worktop surface, made up of any material. Moreover, when it comes to a traditional inset sink, you get a vast array of shapes and color choices.
Among the top 7 sinks designers recommend, this design is the most popular one. There are various added advantages of an undermount sink. You can simply wipe any crumbs or spills directly into your sink bowl, making it a lot easier for you to keep your countertop clean and hygienic. Not to mention the fact that such sinks are also famous for their sleek and modern look.
Well, if you are looking for a sophisticated sink design, which fits well into your contemporary kitchen, then this particular design is definitely the perfect choice for you. A single material is used for manufacturing both the sink and its countertop. Such blended styles look very smart and require low maintenance.
This one is quite similar to the undermount sinks, except that it has an extended rim surface, where you can install soap dispensers or taps.
The next design from the list of top 7 sinks designers recommend is mainly known for its excellent durability. Cast iron sinks are something in which both robustness and the traditional charm come hand in hand. These types of sinks come in variety of colors and styles.
Are you looking for a sink, which is heat and scratch resistant? Well, for a really busy cook, there is no time to wait for the hot pan to cool down, before he or she puts it over the sink surface! In such a situation, when you need to opt for a sink with real hardwearing features, composite sinks are the ultimate choice for you.
The last design among the top 7 sinks designers recommend is known as Belfast sink. These sinks can easily be installed in your kitchen. It looks great in both contemporary and conventional kitchens. However, one must remember that this type of sink must be well-bracketed into the kitchen units. It is always recommended that you hire a professional sink installer for ensuring proper installation.
Thus, with these top 7 sinks designers recommend, you can now have the perfect sink for your kitchen.
There are very effective at home remedies for clogged sinks, so that you don’t need to worry about paying a professional plumber. You cannot avoid having a clogged sink, even if you use undermount sink. No matter how much confidence you feel about your new beautiful sink, sooner or later, you will be faced with this problem. You should not make the mistake of waiting until the drains are no more workable before you decide to find a solution to it. This is the error many people make. If you care to study and learn, there are plenty of at home remedies for clogged sinks you can make use of.
Major Causes of Clogged Sinks
Clogged sink happens as a result of the fact that plumbing networks are complex. It is relevant for you to know some of the major causes of clogged sinks. This will help you in your quest in fixing it.
- Foreign Debris – When foreign objects like hair and soap find their way into the pipes, they can temporarily cause a blockage. When these materials begin to collect over time, they will soon prevent a water flow, thereby causing clogged sink.
- Food Waste and Particles – The most common cause of clogged sink is food remnants. Food like bones, egg shells, potato skins, bread particles, cereals and jelly beans can easily block sinks and prevent the flow of waste water.
- Solid Objects –This is usually attributed to the handy work of young children. When kids are allowed into the kitchen, they can playfully toss a toy or any other solid object into your sink, and then flush it down the drain. When they accumulate, such objects can cause clogged sink and you will need to apply at home remedies for clogged sinks to get it working again.
Popular At Home Remedies for Clogged Sinks
- Hot Water – This is the most effective method when it comes to unclogging your under mount sinks by yourself. Hot boiling water will clear your drain by melting the objects and particles that are preventing water flow. To apply it, all you need is to boil water and pour it down the sink. You may also add salt to the water if you like. Salt will make things much easier because it will increase the dissolving capacity of the hot water.
- Use Plunger – Another effective at home remedies for clogged sinks is to the use of plunger. To make use of the plunger, simply fill the sink with water until it covers the plunger cup. Then start pumping it up and down for about 15 to 20 strokes or more, until the blockage is pushed down the pipe.
- Baking Soda and Vinegar –Pouring half cup of baking soda, followed by half cup of white vinegar into your clogged sinks is also one of the many effective at home remedies for clogged sinks. After the pouring, you need to cover the sink hole with a glass and leave it overnight. The following day, remove the glass and pour in some hot water. This will dissolve the solution and fix your clogged sink problems.
There are many places stainless steel sinks are used today. You’ll find the shiny metallic sinks in homes, restaurants, schools, and even offices. Stainless steel kitchen sinks are durable and easy to clean, making them attractive for all types of applications. Choosing the correct stainless steel kitchen sink for your needs requires you to have some basic knowledge about the sinks. There are many types of sinks available in all different sizes, shapes, and mounting styles. Once you choose your sink and install it, you can enjoy the ease of cleaning your new sink and the style it will add to your space.
Types of Kitchen Sinks
There are various types of stainless steel kitchen sinks to suit all different applications. Double bowl sinks with center holes for hardware are ideal for use in home kitchens. Large, deep, commercial stainless steel sinks are perfect for restaurants and schools. Small, shallow, single bowl sinks fit easily into the corner of a doctor’s clinic. There are as many uses for stainless steel kitchen sinks as there are styles available. Walk down the sink aisle in your local home improvement store and you’ll see all different shapes and sizes of stainless steel kitchen sinks available for different uses.
There are also two other types of stainless steel kitchen sinks based on how they are installed. There are the drop-in sinks, which are fitted after the counter top is in place. If you prefer a more seamless look, you can select an undermount sink that gives the appearance of a seamless, smooth counter top. Many commercial kitchens use stainless steel sinks undermount style because food debris cannot accumulate along the edge of the sink with that style. Not only is it more sanitary for commercial food preparation, it also has a sleeker look, and can dramatically improve the speed that a prep team can work at stations around the sink.
Cleaning Stainless Steel Sinks
Another reason people like stainless steel sinks is because they are easy to clean. Unlike porcelain sinks, a wider variety of cleaners can be used for cleaning stainless steel sinks. You don’t have to worry about ruining a finish, or scratching delicate porcelain, which makes stainless steel ideal in kitchen settings. Warm water and dish soap is sufficient for daily cleaning, but powdered cleansers or liquid kitchen cleaners can be used for more thorough cleaning.
Once you choose and install your new sink, you will notice an immediate change in the look and feel of your space. The durable, stylish sinks are built to last and will add significant style and value to your kitchen. Accessories, such as faucets and sprayers will help personalize your sink to fit in your kitchen. Stainless steel kitchen sinks are a great investment that you will get many years of use and enjoyment from.
If you’re planning a kitchen remodel soon, you’ve probably been researching different types of kitchen sinks. Even if you’re not planning a major remodel, changing your sink can significantly update the look of your kitchen. There are many different styles of kitchen sinks available, and it’s important to choose the one that will work the best for you and your needs.
The sink is the most used feature in a kitchen, so it’s important to carefully consider all of the styles available, as well as the different materials and features of each sink, to get the one that is right for you. Navigating the crowded market of kitchen sinks may seem like a daunting task, but narrowing down your selection before you head to the store will help you easily locate the perfect sink for your space.
Sink Mounting Style
There are two ways that you can mount kitchen sinks to your counter. Each style has its own unique advantages and disadvantages.
The first style is drop-in sinks. These types of sinks are installed after your counter top is in place, and you set the sink in from above. You don’t have to replace your counter to replace this type of sink, but you can’t sweep things from the counter into the sink unobstructed.
The second type available are undermount kitchen sinks. These types of sinks are installed prior to the counter being installed, and have the advantage of a seamless, high-end look. Unfortunately, undermount kitchen sinks cannot be replaced as easily as drop-in kitchen sinks.
The type of sink you choose will depend on your renovation project. Consider how long you expect to use your new sink before making a selection. It is easy to change a drop-in sink down the road, but an undermount sink will require removing the counter top to change.
Kitchen Sink Materials
Once you’ve selected a top mount or undermount sink, the next step is selecting a material. Stainless steel kitchen sinks have been the most popular type for the past decade, and almost all manufacturers have joined the trend and are making sinks from this material. Blanco kitchen sinks, one of the most well known sink manufacturers, has dozens of styles of stainless steel kitchen sinks to choose from. They also offer a wide variety of features such as double bowls and dish draining areas that set their kitchen sinks apart from the competition.
Once you narrow down your selection and have an idea of the type of sink you’re looking for, you can head into any home improvement store or kitchen design center with your measurements and choose the perfect sink for your kitchen with confidence.