When you open the bedroom door and look at your bed, what do you feel? Do you feel calm and ready for a good sleep? Or on the contrary, do you get the feeling of anxiety? Did you know that humans subconsciously react to colors that they see? Eyes are the most important channel to get information, even at the subconscious level. The colors awaken certain emotions and cause certain reactions, so you should choose very carefully every single color that you put in your room.
The Importance of Choosing Colors for Your Bedsheets
- The bedding color greatly influences not only your state of mind, but also health.
- If you are well informed about how the bedroom design, color and model sheets can affect your state of mind; you can make wise choices to create the perfect balance of wall color, bedroom theme, colored curtains, and carpet patterns.
- If you have multiple sets of the softest sheets of bed linen, in different colors, you can change them depending on the mood to create a new atmosphere in the bedroom; giving it a good atmosphere for sleep, relaxation, meditation and love.
To give you an overview on the different colors and how it can affect your mood, here is a list on them.
White is the color of innocence, purity, and cleanliness. It makes one think straight and clearly.
- White bed linen has a classic look and is very stylish.
- White calms us down and can speed up our tendency to “sleep”.
- A light colored decor complemented by white linen is particularly recommended especially for people suffering from insomnia.
According to Feng Shui rules for decorating bedrooms, blue is the color that can induce one to sleep.
- Bedroom decorations in blue— from blue paint on the walls, bedding, blue curtains and small accessories, can create a bedroom that can be a powerful sedative.
- Blue bedding promises a good rest and pleasant dreams and is mainly used by people who cannot sleep adequately or are disturbed by nightmares frequently.
If you want to feel relaxed and at peace at the end of the day, according to studies, green is the color of relaxation.
- Dark green sheets give a fresh air in the bedroom, while green bedding brings light and peace.
- The bedroom that is being decorated with accents of brown and green, together with a dark green bed linen— promotes total relaxation and make sure you wake up fresh and rested the next morning.
- Bedding sets that are of green or shades of green, can also help reduce muscle pain and headaches.
Yellow bedsheets are bright, sunny and can create in the bedroom a cheerful atmosphere that encourages good mood.
- Sleeping in yellow linen can boost one’s mood and make one feel shining on the inside, bringing a smile to any face.
- A cheerful decor in the bedroom, that is based on bright colors such as yellow linen, will surely look warm and welcoming.
- In terms of health, the color yellow can help in getting rid of depression and to strengthen the nervous system.
Bed sheets are available in different types and styles. The fabric used in making the bed sheets affects the overall appearance and texture of the bedding. Consumers can find numerous kinds of sheets at the linen section in malls.
Before they decide to purchase a particular bed linen, they should understand the fabrics used for bed sheets. They will find the ease in choosing the perfect linen when they are aware of the features of the fabric. To help you in choosing what fabrics to buy, here is a guide on the different fabrics used for bed sheets.
Many of the softest sheets available in stores use cotton material. The most popular types of this fabric are the Egyptian cotton and its cheaper alternative, the Pima cotton.
- Egyptian Cotton: Many people are fond of bed sheets made from Egyptian cotton because of the luxurious texture. The thread count of this cotton type is higher than the other kinds of cotton or fabric. From 200 to 400-thread count, consumers can experience the finest texture of bed sheets made from Egyptian cotton. Because of the sophisticated appeal of this type of cotton, bed sheets with such fabric are very expensive.
- Pima Cotton: Pima cotton comes from a variety of fibers located in Peru, Australia, and the western parts of the United States. The fiber length is longer than Egyptian cotton and sheets made from Pima cotton have affordable and inexpensive prices.
This excellent fabric is a favorite choice of people during the winter season.
- Flannel bed sheets are very cozy and warm because of the weight and texture of the material.
- The fabric is a combination of different types of cotton.
- The quality of flannel sheets is measured based on the material used per square yard of the fabric.
- For those who plan to purchase bed sheets with this fabric, they should consider getting flannel with four ounces and above per square yard.
Those who prefer silky bed sheets decide to purchase linens made from satin. The two types of satin sheets are knitted and woven.
- Knitted satin bed sheets: These sheets appear shiny and soft, but the texture is not as smooth as woven satin.
- Woven satin bed sheets: For optimum comfort, people prefer woven satin sheets even when the bedding does not have that shimmering look.
The best feature of this bed sheet is the superior comfort that it provides. Many consumers are fond of Jersey bed sheets because of the durability and practicality of the linens.
- The sheets use knitted cotton, just like the material used in most T-shirts made from cotton.
- These sheets do not peel, and they can be stretched to fit mattresses.
- They may not offer warmth like flannel does, but Jersey bed sheets are more comfortable than ordinary cottons.
Most bedding for children use muslin bed sheets with colorful prints that add beauty to the entire room.
- This type of fabric is cotton-based with a maximum of 300-thread count.
- Many people appreciate the durability and economical value of the sheets.
- However, the fabric is not very soft, as compared to the other types of cotton.
The numerous types of fabric offer interesting appeal to bed sheets. It is important for consumers to analyze their expectations in a product before they decide to purchase any bed sheet fabric and brand.
Cotton sheets, which are commonly white cotton sheets, have been important accessories in our room, generally because of their numerous benefits. One of those benefits is that they help us to sleep better during nighttime. And because of the extreme comfort they provide, they become a good choice as a covering and essential accent to our bed.
However, seeing on the label that a sheet is made out of cotton is enough not for us to determine whether it indeed is the best type of sheet.
Important Shopping Tips
Below are some cotton sheets buying tips that you should take into consideration:
1.) Check the sheet’s label and look for its thread count.
- The higher the thread count number is, the better the sheet can get.
- You can also do this by holding the sheet against the light. You’ll know that it has low thread count if you can easily see through its fabric.
2.) The sheet’s fiber content should be checked as well.
- Sheets with blended cotton and polyester are less likely to wrinkle and long-lasting and if you are looking for cheap cotton sheets, this is probably the best choice.
- Also, pure cotton sheets feel cooler and are easier to maintain.
3.) When choosing, opt for sheets with longer fibers because they are softer than the shorter ones.
- They also are better in terms of quality.
- Some examples of sheets that have long fibers are Egyptian long fiber, supima and pima. This again can be known through the sheet’s label.
- Supima may have longer fibers than Pima, but both have this soft feel which make them very appropriate for covering our bed.
4.) Select a cotton sheet that has greater number of vertical cotton fibers.
- Generally, sheets that possess this quality are much more delicate although they have weaker fibers.
- To be sure, read the sheet’s vertical proportion in its label. One good example for this is Sateen.
5.) The sheet’s fabric finish should also be considered.
- Sheets are commonly treated with chemicals like chlorine and silicon to prevent them from wrinkling and possible deformation. Some are also treated with alkalis to achieve a glossy finish.
- For sensitive and allergic individuals, there are also pure-finish sheets that you should consider buying to save you from allergic effects that treated sheets can give.
- Moreover, organic cottons that are grown pesticide-free may also be your option. You can get the organic cotton sheets for only $60 up to $90.
6.) Most sheets are dyed after weaving to give them colorful prints and attractive designs.
- However, this may cause stiffness after few washings.
- If you want the softest sheets, choose the ones that are woven with pre-colored yarns. They just are a bit costly as compared to the dyed ones after they are woven.
7.) Looking for cotton sheets on sale? Then, buy your sheets locally.
- This will save you big bucks because import and shipping fees are removed in their price tags.
8.) Make your sheets last longer and save more dollars by rotating them for at least once a week. This is enough to keep them looking good for ten to fifteen years or so.
Whether it is a sheet or other important necessity in our home, we always look for the best. But it is more satisfying to know that we have chosen high-quality but cheap sheets. They are also a good investment for our homes, since we get to use them on a daily basis.
Getting them is surprisingly easy, that is if you know where the good ones are and when are they on sale.
TIPS IN FINDING CHEAP SHEETS
1. Work on your feet. Look for white sales on household stores within your area. Most of these stores are located at malls. From there, you will find good and quality cheap sheets at affordable rates.
- You may also visit popular discount stores which have their own websites. Usually, they offer discount and coupons so take advantage of that money-saving opportunity before rushing into their stores looking for cheap sheets.
- Another good option is to seek outlet stores for good buys. These stores usually offer cheap sheets for as low as $20, which is great for shoppers who are in a tight budget.
2. You can also opt for used cheap sheets online if it is not an issue for you. At eBay’s auction, there are reasonably-priced used sheets, and some were not really used but still priced way lower compared to brand-new sheets. However, the price is not yet definite and you have to wait for the sheets’ auction to be closed before you are able to add them to your cart.
- There are also other sites like Overstock and SmartBargains which offers trendy, elegant, and cheap bed sheets which are usually priced around $50 or less.
3. You should also check out stores for cheap sheets sets. Doing this will save you more bucks unlike when you buy sheets, bedskirt, shams, and comforters separately. And through these sets, you will achieve that sophisticated or fun look in your bedroom because they are made to match!
- These can also be found online which usually come with matching pillowcases and more. They are usually priced $100 or less and available during store’s white sale every spring season.
4. Make an assessment of the sheet’s quality. If you want your cheap sheets to give that fresh and cool feeling, you should choose the ones with higher thread count like the Egyptian cotton. Sheets with 300-thread count are fine, but if you crave for the softest sheets, opt for a higher thread count.
5. Finding the cheap sheets does not end it all. You should also know how to take care of them properly for them to be able to last long.
- It is actually easy; you just have to use either warm or cold water for washing your sheets.
- Always put them in a gentle cycle.
- You can use your dryer for drying them just like you do with your clothes, but be careful not to make them stay longer in the dryer. This will result to more wrinkles so you have to fold cheap sheets immediately after the load is done.
If you want your pillowcases to look better and smoother, iron them after they have been dried.