Winters brings in with them freezing temperatures, windy climate, and snow. Northern hemisphere of the world is highly affected by winter season. Countries falling in this part of the World tend to freeze and people residing there need to take intense care to safeguard themselves from being extremely affected by the winter season.
Different types of snow clothing and accessories are meant to protect human beings from snow and dripping temperatures are nowadays available in the market. Wide range of products are manufactured by popular brands and put forward for people to choose from.
Layers of Winter Clothing
To get protected from freezing temperatures, people tend to make layers of clothes on their bodies. Clothes meant for protecting each and every part of human body are designed and put forward in the form of accessories.
Usually people residing in northern hemisphere of the world tend to dress with below mentioned three layers of clothing:
- Inner or basic layer of clothes are meant to keep away moisture from the body and induce heat and dryness.
- Basic clothing for inner layer can be either light weight or medium weight.
- Avoid wearing clothes that absorb moisture like cotton clothes.
- It is preferable to wear thermal wear or clothes made out of synthetic material.
- Center layer is where you can bring in some fashion. Thicker center layer can keep moisture away and make you feel warmer.
- One can go in for 2-3 light weight clothes or one single woolen wear cloth like a light weight sweater or pullover.
- Pants made out of combination of wool with other materials are better over those made using jeans material.
- External layer is meant to have protection against direct knock from external climatic elements like snowfall, cool breeze and drizzle.
Types of Snow Clothing and Accessories
- Thermal wear: Variety of thermal wear is made available in the market. Thermal wear are made using synthetics like polyester, nylon and polypropylene and are available in two pieces to be worn under shirt and pants. They are light in weight, comfortable, safe to the skin, and protects from freezing temperatures.
- Jackets: Woolen jacket or overcoat can protect from cool breeze, sweat suits and water proof jackets are appropriate for rain and jackets that are combination of wool and waterproof material are appropriate insnowfall.
- Snow bibs: Quality snow bibs are worn as an external layer in snow clothing. It is kind of trouser extended to cover chest with braces that go above the shoulders. They resemble dungaree and are usually made out of synthetics like nylon and polyester preferably worn for skiing activities.
- Sweaters: Sweaters are kind of knit garments made out of synthetic materials and high quality warm wool. They are usually worn as a part of external layer in snow clothing.
- Socks: Woolen socks that are light in weight are preferred accessories for snow clothing. Instead one can even wear layers of light weight socks to protect from freezing temperatures.
- Gloves and wrist guards: Gloves and wrist guard are meant to protect your palms and wrist from snow injuries. They are made using breathable waterproof woolen materials. As a part of external layer, gloves and wrist guards are popularly used as part of skiing accessories.
- Caps: Cold temperatures can be harsh if cool breeze tend to enter your body through your head. Though hair is a protection layer, but additionally warm woolen cap canprovide better warmth to head and the overall body. Jackets with hoods can also be used as a part of snow clothing accessories.
Winter sports are of immense importance in snow and windy climate. It is great time to be out of your dwelling with your family and friends for recreation and fun. But these sports are well enjoyed only if dressed as per the requirements of the season, because cold wind and snow can actually spoil the joy of winter sports. All ages love to enjoy winter sports and with growing fashion industry, huge variety of clothing are designed and manufactured today to match all age groups and genders.
Types of Snow Wear
- Jackets, Woolen sweater, over coats, wool pants and comfortable snow bibs: Worn as the outer layer of winter dressing to keep away from external climatic elements like rain, snow and dry air.
- Light weight pullovers or polo t-shirts: Worn as middle layer of winter dressing to keep moisture away from body.
- Thermal undergarments: Worn as basic or inner layer of winter dressing and plays a key role in keeping away cool air.
The Top Brands of Snow Bibs
Usually these are made out of synthetic materials like nylon, polyester or polypropylene. But at times, these bibs can be waterproof to protect from snow or drizzles and they are even available in wool material or fleece lining to match the requirements of more classy customers. The best type to buy can be one that fits well over other inner winter clothing and is fitted with adjustable straps and sufficient pockets for better storage at the time of skiing. Some of the most popular brands that manufacture snow bibs are:
Arc’teryx: Arc’teryx is a popular brand offering the most durable, mobile and varied snow bibs for both men and women.
- They are available to choose from soft-shell, hard-shell, breathable hard-shell and waterproof materials.
- The quality ensures the most professional and dedicated performance dedicated in every product manufactured.
Bogner: Bogner is known to deliver ski sports clothing that are not only functionally better but also keeps the fashion and charm of your personality intact.
- Bogner offers snow wear for both men and women in very high energetic colors to match varied personalities.
Boulder Gear: Boulder Gear is brand offering technical clothing for all mountain recreation activities and is geared with latest lifestyles. The company offers variety of snow bibs for men, women and kids.
Chalet: The Company offers the largest and best selection of ski pants to match people of all age groups and gender.
Columbia: Columbia has snow wear to match men, women, kids and even newborn toddlers.
- The huge variety of snow wear including snow bibs are all offered at competitive rates on its official online portal.
Some other real names offering outdoor sports clothing especially winter sports like ski for men, women and kids include Lucky Bums, the North face and Marker apparel.
Snow pants are specifically designed to be used for snow skiing or snowboarding. They are made of tightly woven polyester fabric or nylon. Snow pants are very durable and made to endure the harsh conditions during winter while doing high performance activities. Winter sports enthusiasts wear snow bibs as well for full protection from the weather. Snow pants are not only used as a sport gear but also for casual wear during winter season as opposed to wearing regular pants. This is because of their ability to resist water and at the same time exudes a warm feeling to the skin.
Snow pants are best when they are bought at a hefty price. These are made available not only for winter sports enthusiast, but also for those who want these as a casual wear. Snow pants for kids and snow pants for women are also now widely bought in the market because of the comfort they provide during cold seasons. In fact, there are variety designs for kids snow pants nowadays and they involve a lot of colors to attract children. It is advisable to wear dark colors though for better heat absorption. Still, snow pants are still worth the price to pay because they give maximum protection from the cold winter season.
Differences between Snow Pants and Regular Pants
The main difference between snow pants and regular pants are that, as the name suggests, snow pants are especially made to be worn during winter. They can withstand the harsh winter conditions; they feel warmer on the skin; and they are waterproof. On the other hand, regular pants have more styles and designs; they are water absorbent; and they feel cooler on the skin.
Having enumerated the differences between regular pants and snow pants, we can come up to the conclusion that snow pants are only worn during winter seasons. It would not be advisable to wear snow pants during summer as it will cause discomfort. Snow pants do not follow any trends compared to regular pants which styles evolve from time to time, thus making snow pants look unflattering to the one who wears these. Moreover, regular pants are a better choice for hot and humid tropical countries.
If it is way too much for you to spend big amounts of money on snow pants, there are many shops available online like Amazon and Ebay that sell them, too. Be wary of imitations though because they may look the same on pictures but they do feel very different from the original ones. Some cheap brands are very poorly made that they easily tear while others do not really protect you from water as they are not fully waterproofed. After all, you do not want to spend on something that is useless.
Snow gear consists of various thick, water proof clothing used during the winter season. This is very popular for winter sports enthusiasts. It is not really a good advice to buy cheap snow gear for the purpose of saving money since they tend not to last longer than expected. Worse, they easily wear and tear because of the poor quality of materials used. Having said that, there is still an exception for choosing cheap gear for snow. If it is snow gear for kids, cheap ones are more practical because kids grow really fast.
What Basic Snow Gear Consist Of
Here are some examples of what snow gear consists of:
1. Base Clothing:
It is wise to choose a fleece or wool clothing as a base layer mainly because it is thick and serves as heat insulator. Avoid clothing that are made of cotton as this absorbs water or sweat. You can also wear a sweater on top of the base layer.
2. Snow Bibs and Snow Pants:
Snowbibs are a type of clothing for winter season. They look like an overall that can be worn on top of the base layer. Others prefer snow pants to comfy snowbibs.
Hats are very helpful in providing warmth especially to the ears. This snow gear is a must-have because it protects the ears from frost bite.
Snow jackets are especially made to be water proof and even wind proof to withstand harsh weather conditions. Your jacket should be lightweight. For snowboarders, it is vital that the snow jacket they own has several pockets for storage of essential equipment such as eye goggles or a music player.
Gloves protect the hands from the cold weather. Do not wear fingerless gloves though because they defy the main purpose of wearing one. Gloves made from leather materials are a good choice as leather is very warm to the skin.
In choosing the right snow gear boots, remember to consider the durability and practicality of this type of snow gear. Choose Wellington because it is widely known for its ability to resist water while ensuring warmth and comfort to the feet.
If it is a snow boarding gear you are looking for, invest on expensive brands like TheNorthFace or Billabong because these brands are well-known enduring high-performance activities. Ever since snow boarding became popular, a lot of snow boarding gear has emerged in the market hence it would not be that hard to find one that is suitable for you. Be careful not be conned by cheap imitation while shopping for a snow gear.
Without wearing the appropriate gear, the wetness and the cold could quickly decrease the joy of being out in the snow. To keep yourself warm and free from moisture, you should wear several protective layers of clothing. One of the most common outer layer options is snow bibs. They provide more effective coverage than a normal pair of pants and you may want to bring one the next time you go on a skiing trip.
What Are Snow Bibs?
Snow bibs are outer layer of clothing designed to give more protection against the cold and snow. They look like overalls incorporated with pants and protective cover around the trunk, held in place by suspenders. This makes the bibs perfect for a skiing adventure on heavy powder snow. Thus, there are snow bibs for adults and snow bibs for kids. Even if your child is still a toddler snow bibs will surely be a nice addition to his or her cold weather get up.
In shopping for snow bibs, here are some tips to follow in order to get the maximum amount of benefits from them.
Shopping Guidelines For Snow Bibs
- Construction – snow bibs must have waterproof outer layer and lined with a wool or fleece lining to give additional protection from the cold. More sophisticated designs are constructed with zip up sides for easy removal of the bib, waist that can be adjusted and special zipper pockets that are hidden to protect your snack or valuables on the slopes.
- Layering – snow bibs are designed to be the outermost layer of winter clothing. Thus, you will need to wear a base layer underwear that is usually long sleeved shirt and leggings. This is in addition to an insulating wool or fleece layer and zip jacket or turtleneck as second layer. The snow bib will form the third layer to protect your midsection and lower body. In shopping for the bibs then, you should get a size that will accommodate extra clothing underneath. If you are shopping for girls snow bibs, additional clothing requirements might be considered. A coat can be worn over the bibs but this is not a requirement.
- Fit – snow bibs that fit perfectly increase your level of comfort and provide better protection. When shopping, it is essential that you try different pairs, as well as adjust their suspenders if applicable. This will help you find out if the bibs are the right size for you, according to your body type and height. You can bring boots and extra clothing with you on your shopping. Put these on when trying snow bibs to simulate the real clothing that you are going to wear under them.
- Material – there various fabric options for snow bibs. Find out what is the best material for you according to the kind of skiing that you are planning to do and on your budget. Polyester or nylon is tightly knit fabrics that will keep water out of your bibs. These materials are less expensive than microfibers, which are very tightly woven for additional protection.
All in all, there are a lot of protective clothing during winter that you can choose from aside from snow bibs. Hence, one should remember that this season is not about going out wearing the most stylish and flashy clothes. It is extremely important that one wears warm and protective clothing during these colder days and that is what snow bibs are all about. Go with something that will ensure comfort and protection above everything else, go with snow bibs for your winter outdoor adventuring. For more cool stuffs, you might want to check the best snow gears and snow pants online.