When it comes to popular tile designs, ceramic tiles are the best option available for you. Ceramic tiles have been a part of tile designing from many decades now but with moving times, new innovations are invented in it. The earliest and the most common type of ceramic tile design is square shaped tile but nowadays, varieties of other shapes and sizes of tiles are also available in the market. You can choose the one that suits your taste and style best. Moreover, the facility of cutting tiles into your desired shape and size increases the possibility of experimenting with new and popular tile designs. You can customize the tile design of your whole house or living room, pavement, front porch or bathroom according to your environment you want to create.
Tile Designs Ideas and Suggestions
Popular tile designs can be adopted from classic tile designs as well as from patterned tile designs. The choice is actually yours.
- Some people might find the classic and traditional single pattern tile very classy and sophisticated especially if they are on a tight budget.
- On the other hand there are people who would love to go for different pattern tiles designs which are lively, full of color or complement your floor or room in some way or other.
- If you have theme decoration in a room, then you would have to find a tile pattern design that would go along with the theme of the room.
- If the room is for a little girl you can go for baby pink colored tiles.
- The choice of tile design is also dependent on the type of mood you are trying to create like if you want a romantic environment then go for heart or floral tiles.
The mood can also be determined by experimenting with different colored tiles. Like if you want to give a very bold look to your room you can go for blood red colored tiles. In such situations, classic tile designs fail to fulfill the expectation of the customer and that is why new and popular tile designs come in handy.
Ceramic Tile Designs
The reason why ceramic tile designs are considered a part of modern and popular tile designs, is because they have a lot of rich history associated with it. They are highly versatile and are a respectable option for tile designing from centuries. If you do a little research, you will be able to find out that there are many famous historical buildings, which have beautifully designed ceramic tiles in it. Romans were great fans of using ceramic tiles in their important buildings.
When you are looking for popular tile designs for your home, 90% chances are that you are looking for shower tile ideas. Tiles are extensively used in bathroom designing of majority of houses. While choosing bathroom tiles, the material is of great importance. It should be a non-slippery surface with the lowest value of coefficient of friction. Ceramic tiles are therefore the best option for shower tile ideas. When the material is fixed, you have to think about the unique design idea for your shower. Choosing the material was only the first step. Choosing the right design is the next critical step. Natural colors are gaining a lot of popularity these days. They are a good choice for shower tile ideas because they give your shower a sophisticated and contemporary look. Modern fixture at the right place and of the right design and color would make your bathroom the heaven you want it to be. It is advisable that you go for light and lively colors rather than dark and bold colors.
Now all you need to do is assess the theme or decoration of your bathroom and make follow the suggestions as your guidelines in choosing the right tile design for you.
You should learn the basics on how to install tiles, as well as the materials that you should prepare for this project. Whether you plan to install tiles in the bathroom, the garage, and other parts of the house, you should follow important instructions in the installation process. You can come up with the best results when you consider these shower tile ideas in installing great quality tiles.
What To Prepare Before and During Installation
Before you start working, you should know how to install tiles by preparing the right tools and equipment. The following items are necessary during the installation process.
- Cement backer board
- Sponges and rags
- Knee pads
- Grout (should complement the color of your tiles)
- Tile nippers, cutter, and tile saw
- Rubber float
- Tape measure
- Chalk line for determining the right position for the tiles
- Porcelain or ceramic tile
- Goggles or eye protection
- Notched trowel
- Hammer and nails
Detailed Instructions About The Basics
When you want to have the ease in installing floor tiles, try to follow these guidelines on how to install tiles the proper way.
- Remove all the moldings and baseboards, as well as the existing covering on your wooden floor.
- Keep the floor stable, and make sure that it does not flex or bend. Floor tiles may be hard, yet these are also brittle and are likely to crack when the floor bends. If the floor bends when you walk over it, try to stabilize it before you install the tiles.
- You can stabilize the floor by adding nails in the subfloor. Add bridging between the floor joists to make it stable and sturdy.
- Install the cement backer board on the stabilized floor. You can fasten it by using the right glue before nailing the board into the joists. Use two-inch galvanized type of nails in fastening the board.
- Make sure that the doors can still be opened over the tiled floors. You can check this by putting a tile on top of a board and check if the door can open easily. If it does not open, you can trim the bottom portion of the door.
- Clean up the debris and dust before you install the tiles.
- Use a tape measure in determining the total width and length of the room, so you know the number of tiles you will use.
- You should dry-fit your floor by placing a row of tiles along the marked lines at the center of the room. Use spacers between the floor tiles, so there is enough room for the grout.
- Evaluate the layout, and make any adjustments when you are not satisfied with the appearance.
- Use a thinset or cement that will hold the tiles in place. You may use the notched trowel in spreading the thinset where you plan to lay the first few tiles. Install the tile into the cement and apply downward pressure.
- Start installing tiles at the center portion of the room before you work on the areas near the walls and edges. You may use a tile saw or cutter for cutting the tiles to the right size.
- Leave the tiles overnight to make sure that these are stable and set completely on the floor.
How To Install Tiles: Difference Of Installation Based On Location
When you install tiles in the garage, you need to make sure that the floor is free from oil and grease. The floor tiles will stick properly when the ground is clean, so you need to wipe the area with a rug before laying out the tiles. Moreover, you should opt for self-stick tiles, so you can remove the tiles easily when you plan to redesign the garage.
Shower tiles are installed in a similar process, as in any other part of the house. However, you need to apply waterproof caulking to seal the tiles on the floor and the walls. This component will prevent the tile from coming off after some time.
You can try to consult a specialist when you are unsure about the proper way on how to install tiles. When you plan to do the project on your own, you can follow these tips for an easy installation process.
Floor tiles usually come in different designs, materials and colors. When purchasing a floor tile, it is important to note that the type of design that you require should match your existing décor. You can make a pattern with your floor tiles. However, it is advisable to test your desired pattern before installing these tiles using cardboards templates. You wouldn’t want to waste grout and tiles on some unwanted design would you?
Types of Floor Tiles
Before purchasing floor tiles, it is good to know the different types of tiles that are currently available in the market. This will help you make the perfect choice.
- There are tiles that have been made from natural stones. These types of tiles are durable, strong and also come in different colors. They have been made using different types of materials such as travertine, slate, granite and also marbles. Design-wise, they give your floors a rustic and organic feel to it.
- There are also ceramic floor tiles and porcelain tiles. They are commonly used in firms and are available in a wide range of color. Ceramic and porcelain tiles comes in various types so it is important to seek advice from the manufacturer and/or a professional before purchasing tiles to know which types of tiles best suit your interiors.
- Terrazzo floor tiles. These are mainly made from marble and stone chips and are entrenched in concrete. They can be polished and used in lounges, sidewalks or lobbies. They are easy to maintain and beautiful.
- There are mosaic floor tiles that are arranged to give a particular pattern or design. They are made from glass, porcelain and ceramic. They are easy to install and used mainly in open places such as churches, lobbies and public squares.
- Linoleum floor tiles are made from natural materials and are available in certain colors.
- Vinyl floor tiles are the cheapest and they can give you service of up to 15 years. They find uses in most homes.
- Bathroom floor tiles are made specifically to be used in bathrooms. These tiles are not easily destroyed by moisture or water and are durable. In addition, they are easy to clean. If you are looking for shower tile ideas, reading tile reviews and interior design magazines will give greatly help.
The advantages of having floor tiles are the functionality and aesthetic qualities all rolled into one. In addition, they help maintain and preserve your floors. Which among the aforesaid types of tiles you choose now depends on your need, taste, and budget as they obviously do not come with the same price tags.
Glass has been in use for quite a long time. It has been used to make items used in homes and industrial and commercial spaces. They have also been used as fine and delicate decors.
Glass tiles are amongst the many beautiful applications of this material. When used well as part of your home interiors, the result is always a combination of classy and elegant. Examples of these are glass mosaic tiles. There are other types of the same tiles depending on designs.
Where Glass Tiles can be Used
Glass tiles can be used in a number of places around the house; the most common is the kitchen. They are used to add design to an otherwise bare kitchen countertop. Among the reasons why they are such a hit among homeowners and interior decorators and even architects is the fact that they come in a variety of colors, textures, and designs. Clear glass tiles are and popular example.
Bathrooms can also be installed with shower tiles as they add beauty and keep them clean. Best colors to use are blue, green or aqua for bathroom tiles. You can get shower tile ideas by reading magazines on interior design. One can as well use tiles for a mosaic art on walls as they are vibrant and shiny; not to mention, the designs are as unique as you are creative. An advantage of using glass mosaic tiles is they reflect light, giving your bathroom a brighter, livelier vibe.
Glass tiles are beneficial when used in homes; but as with anything else, there are pros and cons that go with it. It is just up to you if they are to your liking.
- People suffering allergies, asthma and other sensitivities are safer with these tiles; they do not allow mold, mildew or bacteria to grow. Therefore installing this around damp areas like baths, kitchen counters and back splashes is a wise idea.
- These tiles are easy to clean as they do not require the use of harsh cleaning agents.
- Their ability to reflect light makes a room brighter and looking more spacious.
- They have low maintenance as you only need to clean them with window cleaner and their shine is restored instantly.
- Water resistance is another great advantage as it helps glass tiles not to stain over time unlike other types of tiles. They are also good for places with high temperatures as they can withstand heat.
- One disadvantage of glass subway tiles, as with other tile, is that they are not easy to install and you would need a professional to handle and fix them for you which, in turn, will cost you some extra cash for services rendered.
To broaden ideas on glass tile designs for your home, you can always consult the advice of a professional interior decorator. You can also search for ideas online and on magazines, but make sure that your bathroom design ideas match your overall home interiors.
If you are like most people, then you want your shower to look just as nice as the rest of your bathroom. Does this mean that you have to spend thousands of dollars doing this, no, but you will need to change things up a bit. The first thing that you should do is to look at the many different shower tile ideas that are out there. The point of looking at bathroom shower tile ideas is the fact that they will help you figure out what kind of tile you want and how you want it to look.
If you are having trouble coming up with shower tile ideas on your own, then you can always look at shower tile ideas pictures instead. The benefit of this will be that you are not limited to your imagination.
Popular Shower Tile Ideas
- Hexagons – Have you ever seen shower tiles in a hexagon shape? These are very popular because it gives the homeowner the ability to add a small medallion in the middle of the tiles which really makes the shower look different.
- Large Rectangles – Everybody uses square tiles in their shower, however, large rectangle tiles will make your shower look different and stylish at the same time. This is one of the shower tile ideas that you can find done quite a bit in magazines and other home design publications.
When it comes to choosing the best shower tile ideas you need to take the time to figure out what you really want. A lot of people can find great ideas, but if none of them are ones that you like, then it does no good for you. Just do yourself a favor and spend some time looking through magazines, design books and even websites until you find something that you like.
There are many different shower tile design ideas that you can choose from and you can also integrate two or more ideas together. What this will do is give you the look of many different styles all in one. Just note that not every idea will work for your home and here are a few ideas that you may want to consider.
Shower Tile Ideas
- Grout – Choosing the size and color of the grout is another way that you can change the look of the shower. Most people choose white, however, you can go with a different color and a different sized gap.
- Tile Shape – Square tiles, rectangle tiles, octagon tiles and so much more. When it comes to the tile shape you can choose anything you want. Just keep in mind that a bunch of different shapes might not look very good, therefore you should keep the shapes relatively the same.
- Length – As with anything, adding length to your shower tile makes it look bigger. This is a great thing to do since most people think their shower is too small in the first place.
Shower tile ideas are plentiful out there and because of that you should have no problem finding the right design idea for your bathroom. One needs to be creative and resourceful to come up with ideas outside of the norm because those might be the best things for you.