Natural gases are non renewable hydrocarbons that are formed from fossils in the underground rocks. They are used for the purpose of production of heat and other fuels as well as raw materials for other products. They are used in the homes, commercial buildings, electrical plants and industries. Some of the industries using natural gas need the gas for many reasons. It is known that about forty- three percent of the natural gas produced is used in the industries and it is the most used source of energy.
Some Industries That Use Natural Gas
The industries using natural gas use the same for normal house hold works like for heating, cooking and drying purposes. It is also used in the recycling of waste that is produced from the factories.
Here are some examples of the industries that use natural gas:
1.) Food Processing Industries:
The food processing industries are one of the major consumers of natural gases. They use the hydrocarbons for the production and manufacturing of food and beverages. They use it in the production of heat as well, which is used in the ovens to bake bread and cakes in a large scale. They are used also as preservatives for foods that are easily spoiled.
2.) Pharmaceutical Industries:
Pharmaceutical industries also use the natural gas for the manufacturing and preservation of drugs and medicines. The gas is used to keep the medicines under the required temperature, in order to keep them preserved and safe for consumption.
3.) Fire Extinguisher Manufacturers:
Industries that are known for production of fire extinguishers can use this natural gas to make these fire inhibitors. They also use them to test their kits. They separate the different gases present and ensure they have an odorless gas that will not leak in the air causing fires.
4.) Plastic, Glass, and Metal Manufacturing Industries:
There are times when the industries using natural gas use the natural gas for creation of plastic equipment and also for the melting of glasses when one is forming some equipment made of the materials. Other materials include the metallic and pulp materials.
Heating is done in the heating units using the natural gas in the industries using natural gas. This method of heating using the infrared is known to produce heat economically for industries using ceramic fibers. Oxygen is used to increase the temperature. There is no fire that is involved in this process. There are those that transfer the energy into the water heating it. Other industries combine both the heat produced and power for faster manufacturing of products.
Due to the high industrial use of natural gas, demands for the natural gases have grown over time. There are seasons when there is scarcity of the commodity in the market while other times there are plenty depending on the seasons. As time changes, many industries are growing and all of these industries have the need for the natural gases, which made some of them resort to natural gas conversion.
Compressed natural gas, referred to as CNG, is one of the top alternative fuels for green drivers who want to limit the use of gasoline and petroleum fuels. CNG also reduces the amount of harmful gas emissions from a vehicle. However, the Honda Civic GX is the only passenger vehicle that runs on CNG and that’s available to be purchased by the public. This means that the majority of people who want to switch to CNG must use one of several CNG conversion kits to make the change.
CNG Conversion Kits Advantages and Disadvantages
- CNG conversion kits can be very costly. It’s not cheap to convert a car to run on a completely different fuel source.
- However, drivers may save more in the long run on gasoline after undergoing natural gas conversion than they spend on the CNG conversion kits. It’s important to do the math and compare costs to find out if you’ll actually be saving money.
- In some geographic areas, CNG refueling stations aren’t available.
- CNG can lower the cost of maintenance for your car because CNG is clean-burning. This means that you won’t have to get as many tune ups for your engine, change oils, or replacement parts.
CNG Conversion Kits for Sale
Many US companies now offer CNG conversion kits for cars and CNG conversion kits for trucks. CNG United, for example, sells these conversion kits as well as CNG cylinders and tanks. The best part is that some of these companies will actually install the kits for you so that you don’t have to risk causing damage to your car.
Items Included in a Conversion Kit
CNG conversion kits include everything you need to make the change to your vehicle. However, if you’re not familiar with working on cars, you may want to leave this job to a professional.
The following items are included in a basic conversion kit:
- Advanced time processor
- Close loop feed back system
- Extra fittings
- Filling nozzle
- Fuel changeover switch
- High pressure tube with fittings
- Hoses and clamps
- Mounting straps
- Pressure gauges
CNG tanks and cylinders not included in conversion kits and must be bought separately. There are many different sizes and kinds cylinders and tanks to choose from. Cylinder valves are also not included in the kit and must be bought separately. Always look for cylinders and tanks certified by the DOT.
Are you wondering about this trend of natural gas cars? Whether you want to find natural gas cars for sale or are simply interested in the process of natural gas conversion, natural gas cars are certainly cause for discussion. For the green-minded driver, nature lover and conservationist, natural gas powered cars are the only way to go. Natural gas cars are also referred to as NGVs, or natural gas vehicles.
Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG)
- LPG is a mix of different gases. LPG is mostly made up of butane and propane, both of which remain liquid when they’re compressed.
- LPG is much less expensive than other types of natural gas.
- One of the biggest problems with LPG is that if it leaks, air will collect underneath the car and could lead to an explosion when the ignition is started.
- It can take up to 20 minutes to refuel a sedan with LPG.
- A car crash could ignite the tank easier than on a traditional car.
Compressed Natural Gas (CNG)
- CNG is 50% more expensive than LPG, but it’s still cheaper than other oil-based fuels.
- CNG is much safer than LPG since it’s so light.
- CNG can withstand impact of up to 50 mph from trucks.
How Cars that Run on Natural Gas Work
Wondering how natural gas cars work? You’re not alone. Here are the basics of these unique cars:
- Natural gas vehicles utilize either liquefied natural gas or compressed natural gas instead of other fossil fuels.
- Some cars are bi-fuel vehicles, meaning that they can run on either gasoline or natural gas.
- Cars that currently run on gasoline can be converted to run on natural gas.
Limitations and Drawbacks
Not every part of owning a natural gas car is positive. They have their drawbacks, too, and here are some of them:
- Natural gas cars can’t hold a lot of fuel at once, which means you’ll have to fill up more frequently.
- Natural gas isn’t available at every, or even many, gas stations, which makes it hard to drive long distances in a car that only runs on natural gas.
- The natural gas is stored in cylinders in the car’s trunk, which greatly reduces trunk space. This makes it difficult to fill up your car with baggage for a long road trip or vacation. However, some cars have the natural gas tanks location under the car’s body, keeping them out of the way and leaving the trunk empty.
Natural gas, producing no soot or fumes, is the cleanest burning fossil fuel. There are millions of advantages to natural gas conversion, or to switching to natural gas.
Compressed natural gas is a fossil fuel substitute for petrol, propane, or diesel. So why has the percentage of people converting to compressed natural gas grown steadily at a 30 percent annual rate? People opt for compressed natural gas conversion because it is cheaper than any of its fuel alternatives, better for the environment and can be viewed as an investment. The natural gas conversion has mostly taken place in transportation vehicles, where the turn-around investment is quicker and more important the investor.
Natural Gas Car Conversion
If you are considering converting your car or light truck to natural gas, you should know how many ways this helps not only you, but the world around you. Aside from being more environmentally friendly and burning cleaner, natural gas comes from much nicer sources when compared to that of petroleum. Owning and operating a natural gas car is very good for the environment and good for your finances, but in the United States, it can be more challenging than it would be in other countries, because the U.S. hasn’t converted as much to natural gas as other countries have, where some have nearly 8 million natural gas vehicles in operation.
Natural Gas Conversion Kits
The price of natural gas conversion kits varies greatly depending on what type of kit you need to buy. The following can easily be found online, on sites such as Amazon. Also, the prices listed below are the prices of a new kit. But, you might be able to able to get a better deal by buying a used kit.
- Char-Broil 454609 Natural Gas Conversion Kit – $43.99
- Frigidaire/Electrolux : PCK4200 Natural Gas Conversion Kit – $34.89
- Camp Chef NGKIT Natural Gas Conversion Kit – $47.66
Benefits of Natural Gas Conversion
- It helps the environment.
Sulfur Dioxide and CO2 have a huge effect on the climate, causing both acid rain and climate change. After making changing to natural gas, the average home will emit 99% sulfur dioxide and 40% less CO2. In addition, a single home converting to natural gas saves up to 180,000 pounds of carbon dioxide being emitted into the atmosphere, the same amount emitted by 6 cars in one year.
Did you know that the majority of natural gas, 97.3% to be a little more exact, comes from North America? The northeast region relies on foreign oil for 90% of its energy needs. Imagine if every community converted to natural energy! It would reduce their consumption of petroleum products by 7 billion gallons a year.
Because new gas equipment is more efficient, it uses less energy and is able to save you money. Natural Gas takes away your dependency on oil and fuel deliveries. It offers a constant supply of energy to your home. Converting to natural gas in your home and your vehicle increases their value.