Disposing of light bulbs has not been taken so seriously up until now, and wrong way of disposal can adversely affect our environment because of the mercury content in them. Disposal of light bulbs will depend upon their type.
How to dispose light bulbs
Old style light bulbs
- These are made up of different kind of a glass and metal, so they cannot be recycled.
- Better throw them in your bin safely and please don’t try to recycle them with your glass bottles.
- These are energy-efficient bulbs and save electricity but are not at all environment friendly.
- They contain around 4mg of mercury, which is a dangerous metal for human when inhaled or eaten or touched. It can even affect a newborn’s nervous and digestive systems.
- These bulbs should be recycled so that the mercury content can be recaptured and utilized again, without affecting the environment.
- Don’t just throw it in your domestic bin; it may break which leads to escape of mercury content.
- Put it in a polythene bag safely, and dispose it as you do with other hazardous waste.
- These are durable, non hazardous and environment friendly.
- They can be easily recycled without producing any harmful elements.
- These MR 16 bulbs save energy and are long lasting.
CFL light bulbs
MR 16 bulb
Instructions for how to dispose bulbs
Here are some instructions which may help you in disposing and recycling of your used bulbs.
- The local retailers or hardware stores accept fluorescent bulbs for recycling. You need to find out where this service is provided in your area.
- Before throwing or giving for recycling, carefully package the bulb to avoid any breakage.
- It’s better to replace new lamps packaging for the old one.
Advantages of Recycling
Light bulbs contain materials like glass, mercury and aluminum which are considered valuable for recycling, that’s why various stores are now giving replaceable offers. Each part of a bulb can be reused to make a new bulb or any other product.
Glass: It does not lose its quality and durability when recycled, and can be used for various things.
Mercury: Recycling allows recapturing of used mercury which prevent environmental hazards and reduced use of new mercury.
Aluminum: It is used to produce end caps for the bulb or various other aluminum products.
Throwing or disposing a bulb doesn’t sound a big deal, but hazardous content in few fluorescent bulbs called mercury can lead to brain and kidney damage, it can also badly affect a pregnant woman and her fetus, which can lead to nervous or digestive system issues in a newborn. So, it’s essential to take necessary precautions while disposing any bulb due to the risks of shattered glass or mercury release.
There are various environmental protection agencies, providing the service of handling, storage, transportation and disposal of bulbs. So, next time when you are disposing a bulb, think twice before you make any purchase. Buyers can also find some reviews about the product before making a purchase.
Light bulbs tend to burn from time to time hence the need to replace it. With the thousands of bulbs available in the current market, installing some can prove to be challenging, especially if it’s for the first time. During such an installation,a guide to installing bulbs is one that will make the process on installing less tedious. If you can figure out the best place to get such as guide, you have the ultimate answers on the World Wide Web.
What is an MR 16 Bulb?
In the current market, some of the best light bulbs are the MR 16 small reflector halogen bulbs. The MR16 bulb can be used for both retail and residential lighting.
- Their small size is what makes them popular as they tend to have better beam control, with the beam spreads ranging from seven to sixty degrees.
- They are available in a wide array of voltages and wattages. Thus, they are some of the most ideal bulbs for people seeking for bulbs to suit various applications.
- Their small size makes them perfect for use in places that are tight.
NOTE: As a general rule in any installation, the bulbs with a cover glass should only be used when the fixture is exposed in weather or food service applications.
Tips on How to Install Bulbs
1) One should make sure that he/she know about their fixtures
- This is for the reasons that, the light fixtures are available in assorted shapes as well as sizes; hence, it important to settle on bulbs that will perfectly fit in the fixtures. This is extremely important if one tends to have some special or smaller fittings. Knowing the wattage also helps one avoid the chances that the bulb will overheat hence leading to a fire outbreak.
2) Know the Basics
- Secondly, one needs to see to it that, the instructions on the voltage and wattage of such bulbs are followed, to avoid starting up electrical fires.
- Lastly, you need to know that installing a bulb with the wrong wattage can lead to problems such as fire. One hence needs to look at the caution sticker around the light socket that gives warning on installing the incorrect wattage light bulb.
3) Get the Right Wattage
Step-by-Step Guide on How to Install Bulbs
After choosing the right bulbs, it is now time to install the bulb. Here is a perfect guide to installing bulbs
1) Turn off the lights
- You first need to turn off the lights before installation.
- This prevents you from shock and other problems such as burned out lights.
- When the light has been turned off, the second step is cleaning the light fixture to get rid of any obstructions.
- This is always the best time to get rid of things such as debris that tend to build around the light fixtures.
- Cleaning should be done with a dry cloth to avoid accidents.
- When cleaning, one should make sure that no threads are left in the fixtures whatsoever.
- To make sure that it goes in straight, make sure that the threading of the bulb base perfectly corresponds with the threading of the fitting in the light fixture.
- If the threading is not properly lined up, never ever try forcing the bulb to turn any further as it may break.
- It’s always advisable to unscrew it and start the process all over again.
- You can also check for any obstructions that may be making it hard to fit the bulb.
2) Clean the fixture for any obstructions
3) Securely screw the bulb in place
Just as long as these steps are at your fingertips, you can pride yourself in having the best guide to installing bulbs.
Halogen light bulbs or lamps are a different variation of the incandescent lamp that makes use of halogen gas so as to give greater light and a much longer lifespan than that of a standard lamp. Halogen light bulbs are renowned for the following characteristics:
- Being very efficient, In the way they can be used
- For the quality of the light that they produce and give out
- For being much longer lasting than other types of lamps such as incandescent lamps
A Brief History
Their background is very similar to that of the Incandescent lamp. In 1882, an inventor patented the use of chlorine to stop blackening in a lamp and this first introduced the concept of a lamp that could do this.
Then in 1959 the General Electric Company patented a halogen lamp that was commercially viable that made use of iodine instead of halogen gas.
To this day, GE halogen light bulbs are used the world over in all kinds of places and situations to give light and are the most popular brand of Halogen light bulbs on the market.
How They Work
The way they work is very similar to an incandescent lamp but there is one significant difference that makes it stand out from an incandescent lamp which is the use of the halogen cycle. Halogen light bulbs are constructed from quartz compared to normal light bulbs because of the temperature that is needed for reaction to take place is far higher than an incandescent bulb requires
Usually in an incandescent lamp, the tungsten will burn slowly from the filament before evaporating and this will result in the lamp becoming blacker which causes the light bulb to dim as its output is reduced as its life is diminished.
What Makes Halogen Light Bulbs Special?
What makes Halogen light bulbs is that the halogen gas will chemically react with the tungsten that has evaporated and so stop it from becoming fixed to the glass. Some of the tungsten is then returned back to the filament and this will then give further life to the lamp.
How They Are Used Today
Halogen light bulbs are used in many different situations and applications in both commercial and residential settings and there all kinds of different halogen light bulbs that are available. These range from the domestic range of household Halogen light bulbs such as the mr16 bulb and Halogen light bulbs for cars, to the commercial halogen flood light bulbs which are extremely large and very specialized in how they retail.
An MR16 bulb is a light bulb where the MR stands for multifaceted reflector and the 16 stands for the size of the bulb. MR16 light bulbs are available as halogen bulbs and as LED bulbs. The most common MR16 light bulb is a halogen lamp. The multifaceted reflector of the bulb allows for the beam of light to be focused and is used for directional lighting. These lights have both commercial as well as residential uses where there is a need of a high intensity beam of light.
Choosing the Right MR16 Bulb
Choosing a MR16 bulb for your lighting needs may seem a bit complicated, as you need different bulbs for different applications. The best way to select the right MR6 bulb for you depends on the following:
- The beam candle power necessary for your purposes
- The rated life of the bulbs in order to know how often you would have to change them
- The beam quality and the color temperature needed for your purpose since this varies from manufacturer to manufacturer
- The heat generated by these lamps, say, if your lighting needs are heat sensitive, you can choose the MR6 bulb that has a coating that reduces the temperature of the bulb
MR16 Halogen Bulbs vs MR16 LED Bulbs
· MR16 Halogen Bulbs
An MR16 LED bulb is similar in shape to the MR16 halogen bulb and can be used in fixtures meant for a MR16 light bulb. These LED lamps usually do not have a reflective surface but depend on the optics of the LED to control the beam width. This MR16 bulb is much cooler in operation than a halogen lamp. It also tends to throw a much cooler light at the blue end of the spectrum.
The LED lamps though do not give out as bright a light as the halogen lamps and also their beams are not as precise.
Most MR16 lamps use a low voltage between 6 and 24 volts, though the most common bulbs use 12 volts. These bulbs need a transformer to reduce the voltage from 120 volts to the voltage of the MR16 bulb. These bulbs can be dimmed with the use of a low voltage dimmer.
MR16 halogen lamps are the most common lamps used, and these lamps offer many advantages. The size of these lamps is around 2 inches and they are quite small compared to other directional lighting lamps, which allows them to be used where there are constraints to space. These lamps though produce quite a bit of heat and care must be taken to see that they do not get in contact with inflammable material. The compact size of these lamps and the different beam sizes available make these lamps ideal for spot lighting different size areas.
A disadvantage of these lamps, however, is that they are not as efficient as florescent lights for ambient lighting. Another disadvantage of the MR16 halogen bulb is that if it is not handled properly, it may become inefficient or hazardous.