It is important to follow travel safety tips if you want your road trip to be smooth and hassle-free. The road is filled with obstructions that can also be life threatening. It is thus important to stay safe regardless of whether you are travelling alone or with your family.
Important Travel Safety Tips
- Items such as charged cell phones, jumper cables, maps, blankets, auto club card, first aid kit, flashlights and even spare cash must be in your vehicle no matter what. These seemingly simple items can come really handy in times of need such as a breakdown in the middle of nowhere.
- Your road trip must be planned beforehand. You should know which route you want to take so that you know where you are going. If you are going on a long journey, make sure you look through places where you could stop for gas or for a break.
- Don’t ever park your car in the dark areas. Look for a well-lit area. This is by far one of the most important amongst the travel safety tips. The area you choose should be visible and not obstructed by walls. Don’t choose a vacant garage. Valet parking is safer. This tip is especially of importance if you are travelling alone.
- If you are alone at the mall, you could ask the security person to escort you. You are not doing anything wrong. It is a part of the security man’s job.
- Don’t leave without notifying anyone. Let your close friends and family know that you are going out. Tell them where you are going and for how long you’ll be gone.
- If you are travelling with an infant, make sure you have a child-restraint seat. If the child is about 40 pounds heavy, get a good quality booster seat such as the Graco Turbobooster so as to ensure his safety no matter what.
- For kids that are a little older, make sure they are fastened properly. The harness should be firm and only a finger or two should be able to pass through. If not, it is loose and you need to tighten it. Your child should be stable and not be able to move more than an inch in any direction.
- Pregnant women should not travel at all. But if it is absolutely necessary, extra precaution must be taken. Carry extra drinking water and plan plenty of breaks through the journey. Don’t ever go alone if you are pregnant especially in the final trimester. Be sure you are comfortable but make sure you fasten the seatbelt as well. There are bump belts that are specifically designed for this purpose. You could get one of those.
Follow these safety travel tips to prevent accidents and have a safe and enjoyable ride.
The first question that strikes your mind when you hear the words booster seat must be what is a booster seat. A booster seat is nothing but a plastic or a foam cushion that raises the child in your car. It is firm and is a measure of safety while travelling with your child. However, you have to be very careful about a booster seat. You should look to buy a booster seat only for babies who weigh about 40 pounds and are at least 4 years old. Now that you know what is a booster seat, you must be wondering which one you should buy. There are of course different models and choosing the best can be a problem.
Essentials About Booster Seats
Here are a few essential information about what is a booster seat and understand what you should be looking for when buying one.
- First of all, remember not to rush for it. Don’t run to the store looking for a booster seat as soon as your baby turns 4. If he weighs less than 40 pounds, use his child-restraint seat until he hits the weight. Since a child grows fast, the size and capacity of the booster seat should be well thought of before purchase.
- There are two kinds of booster seats; the backless kind and the high-back booster seat. High back boosters are a better idea because they have a shoulder-belt routing guide that makes it easier to position the belt. Backless counterparts are inexpensive but if you are choosing these, you should remember to pick one that has a clip so that the shoulder belt stays put. There are also a third type of seats which are a combination of child-restraint and booster seats. They can be converted from restraint to booster but they are not as safe and functional as the others.
- When you are making the purchase, make sure you focus on the fit. It is important that you test it. You could choose to go to store that will let you do a test before purchasing. Check that the lap belt does not fall on the abdomen. It is supposed to run over the upper thigh. The shoulder belt should be on the shoulder; not near the neck and not falling off the shoulder either.
- Always choose quality over the price but remember that note every pricey model is trustworthy. Check the ones that are functional and good such as the Graco turbobooster to get your money’s worth.
Booster seats are important for your kids’ safety because they protect them during a crash or an accident. Make sure you buy the best one to ensure your child’s safety.
When kids ride in cars and trucks, they need the special protection of a booster seat or a children’s car seat. Booster seats are made for those kids that are too large for car seats, but still don’t meet weight standards for using a regular car seat belt. The booster seat will put your child at the right level so a normal style of car or truck seat belt can be used to keep the child in place if there is an accident. If you used a regular car lap belt or seat belt on a child that isn’t big enough, you could end up causing them serious injury in accidents instead of it protecting them.
Requirements for Booster Seat Usage
Statistics have reported that one of the main causes of child death before the age of 14 is due to injuries incurred in auto accidents. However, they also show that if a child is properly restrained in a booster seat that meets the state’s booster seat requirements, the odds of them being injured or killed in a car accident go down.
A Child Booster Seat Law was enacted in 2006 to require the use of them to protect children. While the laws for each state may vary slightly, the main booster seat requirements are that all kids between four and eight who weigh more than 40 pounds, but less than 80 pounds and who are less than four feet nine inches tall must ride in a car seat. If not, the driver can be fined.
You must also ensure the child is sitting properly in the booster seat for it to provide protection:
- Once seated, the child’s knees should be bending over the edge of the seat, but the legs shouldn’t point straight.
- Then, put the shoulder part of the seat belt across the child’s shoulders, as well as his chest, but keep it away from the head or the neck.
- Then put pull the lap belt portion of the seat belt over the child’s lap, as well as the hips, and make sure it is over the top part of their thighs.
Kinds of Booster Seats Available
There are two major kinds of booster seats are made for children:
1.) Those with a high back – This is proper if your car does not have a head rest.
2.) Those without a back – If your car already has a head rest, you can use a booster seat without a back.
Both types must be properly installed using the vehicle’s seat belt. Following the booster seat requirements will help to ensure that booster seats are used properly so that your children can be protected in the case of an accident.
There are many different brands of children’s booster seats and car seats to choose from. For instance, one of the major booster seat manufacturers is Graco. They not only make a Graco booster seat, they also make the Graco Turbobooster car seat for younger children. You can read all about the booster seat ratings for these and other styles of booster and child car seats on the manufacturer’s websites.
As a parent, it is imperative that you think about your child’s safety. This is why Graco came out with one of the best car seats around, the Graco TurboBooster. One that is the most purchased is the Graco highback TurboBooster. The reason this is one of the most purchased car seats is because kids like the fact that it has adjustable padded armrests as well as a padded neck rest. The reason parents love the Graco high back TurboBooster car seat is because the high back is removable, which makes this car seat last for almost a full decade of use.
A car seat is very important for any child and that is why parents have to get them. Although, there are many car seats out there to choose from so deciding on the Graco TurboBooster is something that you need to know a little more about before you make your final decision as to what you buy. Just so you are prepared, here are some of the benefits of the Graco TurboBooster car seat.
Benefits Of Graco TurboBooster
- Versatile – One of the benefits is that the Graco TurboBooster is very versatile. Being that everything on this car seat is adjustable, you won’t have to worry about buying a new car seat when your child gets a little bigger. Another piece that is versatile is the back, you can buy a high back Graco TurboBooster and use only the backing that you need at that time. This is one of the reasons many parents choose the Graco TurboBooster over any other car seat on the market.
- Hide Away Cup Holders – If your child likes to have a cup while in the car, then these hide away cup holders will really benefit you. The nice thing about them is that you can pull them out when you need them and hide them inside the base when you don’t.
- Adjustable Armrests – Did you know that the number one cause for neck strain is the fact that people don’t have the proper height armrests? This goes for small children as well and that is why having adjustable armrests is a must. Just because your child uses the armrests once in a blue moon doesn’t mean you should not buy something with them. Do your child a huge favor and choose the Graco TurboBooster because of its adjustable armrests.
- Removable Back – One of the things that people like about the Graco TurboBooster is the fact that you can remove the back from it. This makes the car seat usable for the entire childhood, which means that you don’t have to spend as much on car seats.
- Memory Padding – Children should have something that is fitted just for them, that is why the memory foam padding is a great benefit to have. The nice thing about this memory foam padding on the Graco TurboBooster is that your child will know that the seat is for them and them alone.
Whether you get a regular Graco TurboBooster or the upgraded version in the Graco TurboBooster Crawford is totally up to you, just know that this is one of the best car seats out there today. Invest on the best vehicle safety devices for your kids, get a Graco TurboBooster today!