Flatware is commonly called silverware despite the fact that modern flatware barely contains any silver at all. In fact, the flatware that is often seen today is made up of stainless steel and the main reason behind the usage of this metal is its durability and its low price. However, there are many different types of flatware in the market today for you to choose from. You can pick from these types of flatware based on your requirement, budget and personal preferences.
Common Types of Flatware
- Stainless Steel Flatware: These flatware sets are made out of an alloy that mainly contains nickel and chromium. Chromium is for durability and resistance to a wide range of things such as stains, rust and corrosion while nickel is used to give the shine and the color of silver. Chromium is present at 18% and 8 to 10% of nickel is usually present. However, the percentage may vary and the price will increase with the increase in the percentage of nickel.
- Silver Plated Flatware: Exactly as the name suggests, these sets are coated with pure silver. They are actually made only of copper or brass. However, the usage of silver for the coating increases their price but their purpose is limited. You need to take good care of these sets if you want the silver to stay. Heavy usage can result in the wearing off of the silver metal.
- Silverware: These sets are highly expensive and are usually purchased for special occasions. They are also usually really priced by families and are passed from generation to generation. These sets when taken care of can last for a century or more. They are an amazing addition to the dinner table but since they are highly expensive, not everyone can afford them. They are thus also a mark of sophistication. Many people use these sets only when guests come over.
- English and European Silverware: European silverware is more durable, heavier and larger than English silverware. They are both again expensive because they are pure and come with hallmarks indicating information of their pouring.
- Plastic Flatware: These are the cheapest option available today. You can buy them easily in bulk and use them on a regular basis. They are handy for everyday use and are lightweight.
It is important to take good care of your sets no matter which types of flatware you have. Good maintenance will increase their durability and lifespan, thus allowing you to save money in the long run. Use your expensive Chinaware’s on special occasions so they don’t look old easily. If your flatware sets are not in used as of the moment, display them on a glass cabinet on your dining room to add an elegance look to the room.
Any kitchen should be well equipped with certain materials to make it easier to cook. There are many gadgets and tools that are a kitchen must-have and it is important to know of their relevance so that it easier for you to shop and buy the best. Remodelling your existing kitchen or shifting to a new house can make you think a lot of the things your kitchen must have. You should spend a while and make a note before going to the store to make your purchase.
Different Things Your Kitchen Must Have
- Grater: Graters have been around for centuries and continue to be very essential. Whether it is for grating cheese or any other vegetables, graters are very handy. Thus, every kitchen must have a grater.
- Mixing Tools: You need electric gadgets to mix, grind and mince quickly and properly. Previously, there was a separate gadget for each but in the modern day, you can find food processors that will do it all for you thereby saving your money as well as your essential kitchen space.
- Bake Ware: Aluminum bake ware pieces are the best because of their heat conduction properties. It is important to make sure you buy good quality pieces that will last long so that baking becomes a breeze. These days, every house has an oven and baking has become very common right from cakes to cookies and chicken. Hence, having a good set of bake ware is essential.
- Cookware: You can’t even think of beginning things in the kitchen without cookware. They are easily the spines of the kitchen and you need the whole sets including crockery, flatware sets, dinner sets and so many other things. While purchasing, make sure you buy only good quality cookware so that they last long and the handles don’t break as you use them. This can prevent a lot of damage and spill in your kitchen. Keep factors like cleaning, grills and lids in mind when you make your purchase.
- Cutting Board: These boards make slicing easier and quick. Buy a cutting board that is self-healing and can take all the chopping without being subjected to damage.
- Peeler: Of course you can use your knife to peel but that is actually dangerous and you won’t be able to peel properly either. Instead, you can simply buy a peeler that is safer, easier and faster.
- Knives: This seems obvious as one of the things your kitchen must have. Knives are indeed very essential. You need to have a good set of kitchen knives for various purposes such as cutting vegetables, chopping meat, etc.
Other things your kitchen must have include measuring spoons, spatulas and a pepper mill to name a few. Make sure you equip your kitchen with these materials in order for you to make cooking easier and more enjoyable.
It is not enough to just get the right decor for your kitchen. Having the right kind of wares is important too if you want your kitchen to look great. There are numerous types of wares in the market today right from stone and ceramic to beautiful silver. You don’t need to worry about the prices either because you always have cheaper options and discounts that make even expensive dinnerware affordable. Flatware sets are also excellent choices for the house but amongst all these, silverware sets are the most popular because they are so beautiful and elegant to look at.
Choosing Silverware Sets
- These sets are highly elegant and also reliable. They are durable and this gives them an edge over their other counterparts. There are numerous brands that you could choose from such as Antique Cupboard and Oneida. Others include Manchester, Adra, American Chippendale Whiting Frank Smith and Cirrus.
- It is important that you choose good brands if you want sturdy and long lasting silverware sets.
- If you have a flexible budget, you can choose sterling silverware sets that are a very fine-looking addition to your kitchen. There are also stainless steel silverware sets that can be used for everyday purposes. You can keep the sterling silver ones for special occasions and fine dining. Alvin Chapel Bells is an amazing brand if you are looking for sterling silver sets.
- When you are buying silverware sets, budget is important because most of them are quite pricey but there are also cheap silverware sets that you could choose. It is not ideal to go cheap though. You need to stick to good brands, since you can also look for sales or discounts to grab onto. The Internet is an ideal place to get coupons and discounts since it gives you numerous deals and options to choose from. You can thus pick the best without having to worry about the cost.
- Another factor you should keep in mind while purchasing silverware sets is the usage. If you are planning on using them everyday, you can go for simpler and cheaper options. If you are purchasing for fine dining and are planning on using them only once in a while, you could choose the exquisite and more expensive ones.
- You can choose from contemporary and modern creations based on the theme of your kitchen to make sure your silverware sets match your kitchen design. There is an amazingly large range of options and thus, you don’t have to worry about finding the right one.
Whatever your preference may be, make sure you go with the right brand so that you get your money’s worth. Moreover, do not be hasty on your choices because these sets are supposed to serve you for a long time. Select the best that suits you to avoid buying another one when the former bores you. Be wary of imitations as well because they may look the same, but there will be a big difference on the quality from the original ones.
It is always nice to buy good-looking dinnerware sets. This would actually impress your guests when they come over to dine with you. Food that is served on nice plates is always inviting and appetizing. However, buying these sets is not an easy task. They can be very expensive which is why you should first think about it before making your purchase. There are many different types of sets available and you can choose based on your purpose and your budget.
Guidelines in Choosing Dinnerware Sets
- First decide whether you need the dinnerware sets for special occasions or if you are only looking for casual dinnerware sets. Causal sets are for day-to-day use and can be cleaned in the dishwasher. Special occasion sets are usually fragile, more expensive and need utmost care while handling. They are made from high quality materials and are usually handcrafted to look elegant and sophisticated. Stoneware dinnerware sets are an ideal choice if you are looking for elegance and functionality at the same time. Flatware sets on the other hand are ideal for day-to-day use. Both these variations are durable, great to look at and purposeful.
- Once you know what kind of dinnerware sets you want, you should know how many plates you need in your set. Sets commonly have 4, 6 and 8 plates. The most common among these are the 4-plate sets. If you have a small family, one set is enough. If you have a slightly larger one, you can buy two sets. The same goes for special occasion sets. You can make your selection of sets depending on the number of guests you usually invite.
- If you have kids at home, you should go for melamine dinnerware instead of bone china. Melamine is very strong and reliable. Thus even if there are accidents, the plates will not break. These sets can be found in great designs and varieties too.
- The size and the usage are also important. You should consider how large you want your plates to be and also how often you are going to use these plates before selecting a set.
If a particular set pleased your eye but the price tag is beyond your budget, you can look for dinnerware sets on sale and find the ones you like at a much cheaper rate. This is easier over the Internet. Some of the popular brands of dinnerware sets today are Henckels, Corelle, Gibson and Pyrex to name a few.
Flatware sets are one of the things that have been part of the western household since centuries and are things that have been a common sight in the last 100 years. The versatility and usefulness of flatware sets is the reason behind their being the most sought after gifts for newlywed couples. These sets are a valued commodity in many households. Modern flatware sets are a dream of every bride since they are extremely useful during holidays, certain occasions or dinner parties. They are a very essential part of a modern kitchen.
What Materials are Flatware Sets Made Of?
In earlier times, flatware was mostly made from iron or wood with gold or silver being used by the royalty. Such precious sets were a thing of honor for families. But today, most of flatware sets available are made from stainless steel.
Stainless steel flatware sets are a better option compared to those made with silver since they don’t require much maintenance and are relatively cheaper. These flatware sets have the same appeal as costly silver sets, but are much simpler to maintain and form an elegant option. But, at times, silver sets are used for special occasions because of their exclusive styling. Flatware sets are also available with ni-cr plating and are an elegant addition to the kitchen.
What Styles are These Available in?
Although flatware sets are in use since centuries, there has been little change in styles overall. The thing that has definitely changed is the variety. You will always find a set that depicts your style. You can find flatware sets in every style, from modern to classical. There are sets in different sizes and number of pieces, for example: flatware sets for 12. If you are gifting this to someone, then keep in mind the style of the house of the receiver, for e.g. a classical set won’t go well with a modern styled home.
Tips on Buying Flatware Sets
- Firstly, before you decide on purchasing a flatware set, you should be certain about your budget. A good set will cost a lot of money but it will definitely pay back much more in form of usefulness and elegance.
- The kind of flatware you should get depends on your house styling. It also depends on the type of crockery you have. For e.g.: A classical set won’t go too well with a modern surrounding.
- You have to choose between die cut and drop forged sets. The former costs less but lacks proper finish and is prone to corrosion. Sets made using drop forging process cost more but have smooth edges and also last for a longer time compared to die cut sets.
Where to Buy Flatware Sets
The best place to look for good, quality, and reasonably priced flatware sets is the internet. A number of sites offer flatware sets from different brands. You should check the repo of the site and brand before purchasing. Also, since you would need to store this set, you should look for deals for flatware chests. Other than offering more usage space, they are also a beautiful addition to the space.