Cocktail dresses, also known as semi-formal dresses, are usually worn during cocktail parties or black tie events. These are social events that usually happen during the evening extending until midnight or sometimes even up to the wee hours in the morning. Black and white cocktail dresses are the most commonly worn type of dresses during this event. However, black cocktail dresses are more preferred since it is more sophisticated especially since the social events are done at night.
Black Cocktail dresses can either be long sleeved or short sleeved. Their lengths can vary from shorter ones where the hem hikes up just above the knee up to longer dresses where the hem extends up to the ankle. The proper attire is usually set by the organizer of the cocktail party that you are attending. These black cocktail dresses show your elegance and sophistication especially if it is well accessorized.
If you are planning to buy a black cocktail dress for a special occasion or function that you will be attending, you need to consider several factors before committing to buy.
Here are a few things that need to be considered before purchasing a black cocktail dress.
- Size of the dress
Choosing the appropriate size for your figure is a very important factor in buying a dress especially if you are a plus size woman. There are readily available plus size black cocktail dresses from specialty stores so it won’t pose a problem.
- Price of the dress
Choosing the best dress doesn’t mean choosing the most expensive one. Weigh your options very well and prioritize quality more than the brand.
- Material used in making the cocktail dress
Materials of black cocktail dresses vary depending on the designer, brand or usage. Choose the appropriate material depending on the occasion you will be attending.
- Design of the cocktail dress
There are unlimited designs for black cocktail dresses in the market today. Choose a more unique style so you won’t be in a situation where someone is wearing the same dress as you are. Black cocktail dresses with sleeves are the most commonly used for black tie events. These types give a formal aura giving you sophistication.
Here are some specific things to consider based on usage:
- If you are planning to wear this dress to work, go for black long sleeve mini dress that is slightly above the knee.
- For special occasion, go for a black sequin dress long sleeve design. Match it with the appropriate high heels.
- A black long sleeve dress gives you liberty of wearing them with sophisticated earrings, bracelet and even necklaces. If you are planning to wear a long and beaded necklace, match it with studded earrings. Make sure that your bracelets match the belt and bag that you have.
- Also, make sure that your hair matches the dress. You can choose to leave it straight, have wavy flocks or tied up.
You maybe wondering what make black dresses that popular. This is because black is a neutral color and is preferred for most formal occasions. It also has a better way of showing off your body curves making you very attractive. You’re sure to turn a few heads your way with black cocktail dresses. You can never go wrong with this type of dress.