A wand curling iron is a grooming device used by most women and stylists to create waves or curls to the hair. The wand works in the same principle to that of ordinary hair irons where the metal or iron portion of the wand is heated and when this heat is applied to the hair, curling and shaping is made possible.
The only difference of the wand-type iron from the popular hair irons that most women use is its function and form. Common hair irons have two metal plates heated and pressed to straighten or style the hair while the wand-type iron has cylindrical rods or barrels.
Styles And Types Of Wand Curling Iron
There are several styles and types of curling irons. Most of the time, classifications can either be based on the size of the barrel, its make or the material used, the type of handle, or based on the shape or design of the barrel.
- Based On The Size Of The Barrel. The size or diameter of the curling iron usually determines the size of the curls produced. Curling irons can come in distinct diameters but standard sizes available in the market ranges from ½ inch, ¾ inch, 1 inch, and the 1 ½ inch curling irons.
- Based On The Style Of The Handle. Except for the clipless curling iron, the handles can features clips that are spring-loaded or the manual Marcel type. Between the two, the spring-loaded type of clip is better in providing precise control on the tightness or looseness of the clip.
- Based On The Material Used For Heating. Instead of using bare metals that may pose risks to the hair, the iron cylinder or barrels can either be made or coated with Teflon, ceramic, tourmaline, titanium, or other precious metals like silver or gold.
- Based On The Style Of The Barrel. The barrel can either be any of the following:
- The bare and simple cylinder or rod type barrel used to create generic curls.
- The conical type of barrel which is shaped like a cone used to create larger curls on base of the hair and smaller curls towards the tip.
- The reverse cone barrel which works in exactly the opposite manner to that of conical type of barrel.
- The barrels with brush attachments used to create soft waves
- And the double and triple types of barrel which can create wider and layered or patterned hair waves or curls.
Two Of The Best Brands Of Wand Curling Iron
Several companies or brands produce their own line of wand-type curling irons, but the most trusted and popular brands include the following:
One of the highly rated brands when it comes to curling irons is Remington. Among its most sold wand is the Pearl ceramic wand curling iron. It is a professional curling iron yet can be easily used by all women at home. It caters to all hair types, the curls or waves produced last longer, and it features automatic shutoff to avoid overheating.
The Conair wand curling iron is also one of the most in-demand. Some its products feature a spiral guide which makes the creation of waves smoother and easy, plus, it avoids hair tangles. High levels of heat can be restored in an instant and there is also an automatic shutoff feature to prevent risks of overheating.
A wand curling iron has been considered an essential for regular hair grooming and styling of almost all women. And when shopping for the best wand curling iron, safety is the priority consideration. Other choosing factors include the right size, the proper type of barrel to create the desired curl or wave, and of course, a good purchase price.