When it comes to choosing exterior doors, you can be sure that you’ll have a lot of options to choose from. It is important to make sure that exterior doors for home are chosen carefully because they reflect your personality and your way of living. Your door is the first thing visitors will notice and thus having a good looking and reliable door installed is always a good thing. However, you have to keep several things in mind when you look for the right door. Some of the factors include style, design and of course, your budget. You need to be clear about all these so that you can make the best choice.
Types of Exterior Doors
- Exterior Wood Doors: These are the traditional type of doors and are available in a large number of designs. You can paint these doors or stain them in the way you like so as to make them look better or have them match your house decor. The latest wooden doors are more reliable and thick. They are stronger but they lack the security you might require to stay safe in your house. Thus these doors are not as preferable when it comes to the safety factor. If you live in an area where the climate is hot though, you might not want wooden doors. Hot climates will damage your door by making it swell.
- Fiberglass Doors: These doors are very strong in comparison to wood. They may look similar to wooden doors but are quite different in that they are energy efficient, better insulators and much safer. Also, these exterior doors are low maintenance.
- Steel Doors: They are even more energy efficient than fibreglass doors. However, you can’t get creative with these doors. You will have very limited decoration options. These are your best bet if you live in areas where the climate is very harsh. They are inexpensive and strong. They can also resist the spread of fire. Though extreme conditions may damage them, these doors can be repaired. They are resistant to cracks and chips. They are almost maintenance free and are thus excellent choices.
- Sliding Screen Doors: These are modern doors that are extremely elegant and stylish to look at. They will give your house a very sophisticated look. However, the popular sliding screen door available in the market is expensive and you have to look at your budget before considering this type.
- Exterior French Doors: These are probably the most popular. The reason why these are preferred is because they are available in different designs such as inswing and outswing. There are also some types that open both ways.
Depending on the level of security, the design, the budget and the area where you live, you can choose among the modern exterior doors and the material with which you’d like them made. Make sure you only choose good manufacturers such as Masonite exterior doors in order to get your money’s worth and at the same time, ensuring better quality of your door.