Nomex coveralls are a type of garment made using a special flame resistant material first developed by the DuPont Company in the early 1960s. These coveralls were first sold in the market in 1967 and since that time, Nomex has been the number one choice of coveralls for those jobs where having flame resistant garments is essential. These jobs include:
- People who work in the petrochemical industry around flammable products
- Auto racers
- Fire fighters
- NASA crews
One of the amazing things about Nomex coveralls is that this fabric never seems to lose its flame resistance no matter how many times the coveralls are washed. They offer the same protection against fire after being washed a hundred times as they do straight from the package.
Styles of Nomex Coveralls
Nomex coveralls come in a variety of styles with different features depending on your needs. These styles and features include:
- Normal coverall styles
- Squad suits
- Flight suit styles
- Insulated coveralls
- Coveralls with safety stripping
When considering Nomex for your coveralls, make sure that you choose the correct style for your particular use. If working in colder conditions, choosing insulated coveralls will help to keep you warm while providing the protection from fire that you need and want. The tighter fitting flight suit style works well for astronauts, test pilots, and race car drivers than do the looser styles.
How to Buy Nomex Coveralls
- When buying Nomex coveralls, you have to make sure that you purchase from trusted Nomex coveralls suppliers and distributors. This way you are assured that you are purchasing authentic Nomex products and not some rip off stuff that promise to be flame resistant, but are actually not.
- You also want to make sure that your coveralls fit the way they are meant to fit so make sure that you use the Nomex coveralls size chart to ensure that you get the correct fit. This not only makes for more comfortable wear but also provides an extra margin of safety as coveralls that are too loose may allow flames to get between the coveralls and your body.
- Due to the quality design and the flame resistant material used in Nomex coveralls, these clothing articles can be quite expensive. Many people find themselves looking to purchase used Nomex coveralls in order to save money. When buying used coveralls, check with suppliers that offer used Nomex products as well as online marketplaces like Ebay that sell a variety of used and refurbished items.
- When buying used coveralls, make sure you also check the Nomex coveralls size chart to ensure that the garments offered for sale is the correct size you need. You are also going to want to make sure this product is in good shape and without rips or tears that could compromise the functionality of them for your use.
Whether you purchase Nomex coveralls new or used, these coveralls will serve as your armor should the unthinkable ever happen and a fire breaks out. In fact, this may just be one of the smartest clothing purchases you ever make.