Astigmatism is an inherited eye disorder, which causes difficulty in viewing objects clearly. Astigmatism contacts are available for patients suffering from the blurry vision problem. There are many types of contact lenses available for astigmatism patients like:
- Soft Toric lenses or prescription colored contacts
- Gas Permeable (GP) contact lenses and
- Corneal Refractive Therapy (CRT) or Orthokeratology lenses
Various Types of Contact Lenses
Disposable Colored Contacts
- Disposable colored contacts with prescription are the common lenses used by most of the people.
- They can be used for two to four weeks and disposed.
- They are usually very cheap than the eye glasses.
- The only problem with this prescription colored contacts is that, it rotates slightly each time the patient winks.
Note: Astigmatism patients using these lenses often complain, they are able to see the fine details clearly for a minute and the objects get blurred in the next minute. Hence, other advanced devices like CRT are prescribed for some patients.
Gas Permeable (GP) contact lenses and Corneal Refractive Therapy
There are two types of Astigmatism, regular and irregular. GP’s and CRT a type of GP contacts are usually prescribed only for the people having irregular astigmatism.
- They are a bit costly and have to be prepared specially based on the patients customized needs.
- CRT contacts are worn overnight during the sleep and removed in the morning, so that the patient can carry on with their normal day to day activities without the contacts.
- Prescription colored contacts is much easier to use than the CRT lens and are very affordable too.
- CRT lens reshapes the cornea during sleep to provide clear vision for a day or a few hours. The patient should wear it every night to re-adjust the corneal shape, much like dental retainers.
Doctor’s Viewpoint on Cheap Colored Contacts
Though, cheap colored contacts with prescription do not cause any major eye problem, majority of the optometrists advice their patients to go with a simple eye glass. They simply do not prefer their patients meddling with their eyes constantly. There are various reasons for this.
- Many patients have long and unclean nails. This causes various infections in the eye.
- Most of the patients do not clean the lenses properly
Colored prescription contacts for dark eyes will make them look lighter instantly. Various colors and even lenses with designs like a simple heart in between them are available. They can be used for parties and disposed immediately. There are some models which can be used continuously for a year without removing. But, the chances for patients using such devices catching minor infections are very high. Hence, many eye specialists advice their patients to be very careful while using prescription colored contacts.