Whenever you have flu symptoms, it is always a good idea to go and see your doctor. If you take the right medicine within 48 hours of the onset of flu, doctors say you would certainly be able to shorten the duration of the flu symptoms and go back to your regular routine. Life is always easier without flu. In order to address this issue, here are over-the-counter medications to answer your questions on how to treat the flu:
Common and Typical Flu Medications
- Antihistamines: These medications are usually given for allergic symptoms such as congestion and inflammatory response that are coupled with runny noses, itching and sneezing.
- Mucolytics, suppressants and expectorants: These are over the counter medications for cough. Only a doctor or a medical practitioner would be able to determine which cough medicine to give you depending on how they evaluate your cough.
- Paracetamol: These is just a brand name used to bring down fevers and minor pains but are proven very helpful and effective on how to treat the flu.
- Decongestants: These are used to ease up sinus infections and headaches.
- Nasal Saline Irrigation: You can try and buy some Nasal Saline Irrigation. This is an effective remedy to add moisture to dried mucous membranes, decrease postnasal drip and remedy to thin mucus.
- Aromatherapy Oils: Under this category also falls Vicks VapoRub or some aromatherapy oils. Oils such as Eucalyptus, Lemon, Peppermint, Lavender, Pine and Spruce can help ease the respiratory congestion. You can also find other oils that kill viruses and bacteria and these are Cinnamon Bark, Peppermint, Lemongrass, Thyme, Lavender and Lalaleuca.
- Lozenges: These can come in the form of sprays and gargles that provides temporary relief. An example for this is the Colloidal Silver Throat Spray is also a good treatment to kill viruses that are responsible for sore and scratchy throats.
Less Common Medications for Flu:
- Vitamins C and Zinc: Take Vitamin C and Zinc to boost your immune system. Aside from the supplements that has these two together; you can also purchase the Zinch Cough Drops to ward off nasty colds or flu. This is more on the preventive side on how to treat the flu.
- Homeopathic Medicine: Take homeopathic medicine in the form of oscillococcinum. It is said to have had a very high success rate in treating flu during the 1918 Spanish flu outbreak. It is said to treat all symptoms of flu.
- Airborne Effervescent Tablets: This is a product is said to contain seven herbal extracts, antioxidants, amino acids, vitamin C and electrolytes.
- Organic Tablets: There are now plenty of natural remedies that are manufactured in the form of tablets such as garlic tablets to combat the flu virus.
- Cold and flu bath: A great example of which is the one manufactured by Abra which are bath formulas created to sooth away the symptoms of flu such as bronchial congestion, body aches; reduce chills and general body discomfort.
There are so many over-the-counter medications now that are available to treat the flu. For some, it would be best to use natural remedies first because it usually works. Also, it is highly suggested not to use any over-the-counter medication without the supervision or evaluation of a doctor or a medical practitioner. Now that is how to treat the flu.