Non-toxic writing materials for kids are important for children just as nutritious foods are for them. Obviously, they do not work at building your child’s body and mind, they can however, badly damage it. Writing is a part of a child’s growing up stage. If they are exposed to toxic materials, they could suffer from carcinoma, eczema and acne. Since kids mainly use pencil for writing they could also face the risk of elevated white cell count, liver and kidney damage, fever and anemia, given that the pencil head pierces their skin surface. All these can be avoided if non-toxic writing materials for kids are supplied to the children. One of these safe materials is graphite, which is the most common material for making pencils.
You should get some idea about why providing non-toxic writing materials for kids are essential for your children to deal with, rather than use something that could lead them to some severe physical conditions. Since children use pencils as their main writing material, look below the different types of pencils that use no toxic materials.
Types of Pencils
There are different types of pencils and each type has their own characteristics such as components and quality.
- Graphite Pencil. As mentioned earlier, are the most common type. It is made from a mixture of clay and graphite and is encased usually in wood. Its shade varies from light gray to black. Graphite leads are very smooth and are not that hard. That is why they can almost never pierce skin.
- Solid Graphite Pencil: These pencils are almost exactly like the aforementioned ones, except that they do not have any wooden casing. They are simply solid sticks of graphite. Color shades are still the same and they are mainly used by kids for art purposes.
- Charcoal Pencil: Charcoal pencils are not as much popular as graphite pencils but still they are quite good non-toxic writing materials for kids. These pencils provide darker shades than graphite pencils and smudge a bit easily. Kids use these pencils for both writing and drawing. In fact, sometimes parents are advised to make their children use charcoal pencils if they fail to exert the necessary pressure for writing for some reason.
- Crayons: Colored pencils are more commonly known as crayons. These pencils have wax like core with some other materials; however, none of these materials are toxic. Some companies used to use lead as a supporting component for making colored pencils before but now almost all of them stopped from using it.
- Carbon Pencil: Carbon pencils are more like a fusion of graphite pencil and charcoal pencil. They are made from clay and lamp. Carbon pencils are darker than graphite pencils and smoother than charcoal pencils.
All the above-mentioned items can qualify as non-toxic writing materials for kids. Surely, you would want to ensure your child’s safety before all others.
Pencil grips are also an important part of pencils. The most popular pencil among kids is the no 2 pencil. Their structure is pretty much perfect for kids but still some children have problems grabbing and holding their pencils properly. This is where pencil grips come in. If your child is having a problem with holding a pen or pencil, try adding a grip to it. However, do not get the idea that pencil grips are for kids who have problems holding their writing instruments, since they offer a better grip, they also help children in developing their writing skills and structure.
It is very important to be aware of these classifications of pencils as they are an essential part of a kid’s growing up stage. With enough knowledge, you can avoid unwanted problems that might occur due to harmful materials that are present with some types of pencils.