Sauces give flavor to otherwise boring dishes. Cocktail sauce is a kind of sauce stored at either room or cold temperatures served as a condiment with marine foods like crustaceans, mollusks, fish and echinoderms. You might have question as to how to make cocktail sauce?
Cocktail sauce is made in combination with horseradish, a plant family that includes broccoli, mustard, wasabi and cabbage. Different parts of world have different methodologies involved in preparing cocktail sauce. As in the United States, Cocktail sauce is ketchup-based, while that in continents like Australia, United Kingdom, France, and Ireland, cocktail sauce is a combination of ketchup and mayonnaise. While in Belgium, dash of alcohol is also added to cocktail sauce.
Popularly, cocktail sauce is served with crustaceans like shrimps and one of the most popular dish prepared using cocktail sauce is shrimp cocktail sauce. How to make shrimp cocktail sauce? It is very easy and convenient to make shrimp cocktail sauce at home. In order to understand the final dish of shrimp cocktail sauce, we should first know how to make cocktail sauce.
Shrimp Cocktail Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup Ketchup
- ½ cup horseradish
- Few drops of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Pepper and salt as per taste
- Take a large mixer bowl. Mix ketchup, horseradish, and Worcestershire sauce and lemon juice in the bowl. As per the requirement one can add horseradish to make the cocktail sauce mild or spicy.
- 2. Add salt and pepper as required. Put the bowl on mixer and blend the ingredients well.
- 3. Take out the cocktail sauce mixture in a large bowl and cover the bowl with sandwich paper.
- Allow the sauce to cool in refrigerator. The other reason to put the cocktail sauce in refrigerator is to enhance its taste.
- 5. Once cool and well blended, serve the cocktail sauce and garnish it with lemon slices.
Now when it is clear as to how to make homemade cocktail sauce, it is time to concentrate on basic recipe – Shrimp cocktail sauce. Shrimp cocktail is the perfect party menu dish. It is easy to cook and can be stored for longer duration. Serve the cocktail sauce in a fancy candy dish and hang the shrimps on the edges of the dish. This is all about how to make cocktail sauce and shrimp cocktail sauce.
More Tips on How to Make Cocktail Sauce
- It is always better to eat fresh sauces instead of going in for packed sauce because on one hand packed sauces are full of preservatives and on the other hand homemade sauces taste great and can be cooked or prepared in no time with pre-planned ingredients on hand.
- Other Seafood like fish served with cocktail sauce as an accompaniment, taste well.
- How to make seafood cocktail sauce? The recipe remains the same, no matter what ingredient you use for it.
- Minor changes in the recipe on how to make cocktail sauce, can actually make you learn different versions of cocktail sauce popular in different regions of the world but with ketchup and horseradish as the basic ingredients.