The microphone is a device that helps convert sound into an electrical signal. Electronic Systems such as the telephones, computers, radios and tape recorders are equipped with the smaller microphones to help us communicate. The bigger and much powerful microphones on the other hand are used in radio production and audio engineering as well as film and television production. No matter the size, microphones are sensitive equipment, which is why it is important for all users to know how to care and learn the proper way of storing your microphone.
Microphone comes in two basic types. The first is the dynamic microphone and the second is the condenser microphone. Dynamic microphones are best used for outdoor activities like concerts since they can withstand high sound pressures. The Shure SM57 microphone is an example of the Dynamic microphone found in the market. The Condenser microphone on the other hand is used for indoors activities like studio recordings. This is because the condenser microphone is much sensitive to loud sounds. An example on a Condenser microphone is the Yeti microphone.
How to Care for your Microphone
Before learning the proper way of storing your microphone, it is important for you to first know the proper way to care for it. The following are steps you should have in mind when handling the microphone.
- You should never blow into the microphone when you are handling it. Doing this can damage your microphone because the diaphragm of the microphone is designed to respond to the sound waves and not to the wind. Never tap the microphone head when performing sound checks since this can also damage your microphone.
- Avoid swinging the microphone by its lead or throwing it around. Such antics are a sure way of damaging the microphone and that is why it is advisable to not do it no matter how cool or fun it may look.
- Each microphone has different volume levels. You should always use the correct volume levels.
- Always turn off the microphone when it is not in use.
- Cleaning the microphones diaphragm helps maintain the volume of the microphone. Ask your supplier the microphone manufacturer on the proper way to clean the microphone.
- For proper performance, you should always replace the microphone batteries regularly.
How to Store your Microphones
Another way to care and maintain your microphone is by learning and practicing the proper way of storing your microphone by using the following tips.
- Always know the type of microphone you have and the materials used in making the microphone. This helps you know the best way to store your microphone by knowing how to handle.
- It is advised to keep your microphones in a flight case made of aluminum. Flight cases are usually lined with foam to prevent the microphones from shifting around when they are being transported or when being moved.
- After placing them in the flight case, make sure that the lids are shut properly.
Remember the best guide for the proper way of storing your microphone is to always store the microphone in a climate controlled place. You could keep it in a flight case, which should be free from dust, high humidity, dampness and high temperatures.