If you are person utilizing your kitchen frequently, then it is difficult for you to live without garbage disposal. Garbage disposal are attached to your kitchen sink, which mince the food waste and passes it through the plumbing. Garbage disposal is of great use to you and it keeps the kitchen fresh and smelling, removes the harmful bacteria and makes cleaning task simple and easy. Garbage disposal care and maintenance is easy and with proper utilization will survive for several years. Read on to know more about Garbage disposal care and maintenance in this site.
If the garbage disposal is not operated with care it would cause major inconvenience. But most of the garbage disposal problems encountered are unnecessary as garbage disposal care and maintenance is not a daunting task. Do the following to keep your garbage disposal clean:
- After washing dishes, use dish soap on it and let it run for some time.
- You should run garbage disposal frequently as regular usage will safeguard it from rust and corrosion. At the same time it would also make sure that all parts are in proper condition.
- To grind food waste thoroughly you can pour cold water. Cold water is used because it would solidify the oils that enter into the unit, so it can be minced before getting into the trap.
- Using grind peelings from lemon, sweet lime or any other citrus fruit would leave a fresh smell. If you want to mince larger pieces, put them one at a time instead stuffing all the pieces at once.
Hence, there are also things you should avoid to extend the life of your garbage disposal for years:
- You should not put anything and everything in the garbage disposal, remember it meant for food scraps only and not for biodegradable food.
- Non food items are more likely to cause damage to the motor and blade.
- Do not try to grind paper, metal and plastic.
- Do not throw cigarette butts on it.
- Too much of grease and oil on the unit is not good as the fat and oil will slowly accumulate and disturb the grinding activity.
Whether you use the well known Waste King garbage disposal or any other brand, natural methods to clean the garbage are good both for your kitchen and environment without costing you more. Garbage disposal care and maintenance is not hard as you think, when operated and cleaned regularly it would come for several years. Use lemon and orange in the unit, the juice in the peels effectively cleans the garbage disposal walls and provides long lasting fresh smell. Take frozen vinegar and ice cubes and run down through the unit, this helps to keep the blade sharp and would kill odor creating bacteria in no time.
These are the general tips and advices to keep your unit clean and also to get rid of minor problems. In case of any severe issue and garbage disposal doesn’t work well, immediately seek the help of the service provider to repairs the garbage disposal. They are experts in repairing and know how to address the problem.