Floor tiles usually come in different designs, materials and colors. When purchasing a floor tile, it is important to note that the type of design that you require should match your existing décor. You can make a pattern with your floor tiles. However, it is advisable to test your desired pattern before installing these tiles using cardboards templates. You wouldn’t want to waste grout and tiles on some unwanted design would you?
Types of Floor Tiles
Before purchasing floor tiles, it is good to know the different types of tiles that are currently available in the market. This will help you make the perfect choice.
- There are tiles that have been made from natural stones. These types of tiles are durable, strong and also come in different colors. They have been made using different types of materials such as travertine, slate, granite and also marbles. Design-wise, they give your floors a rustic and organic feel to it.
- There are also ceramic floor tiles and porcelain tiles. They are commonly used in firms and are available in a wide range of color. Ceramic and porcelain tiles comes in various types so it is important to seek advice from the manufacturer and/or a professional before purchasing tiles to know which types of tiles best suit your interiors.
- Terrazzo floor tiles. These are mainly made from marble and stone chips and are entrenched in concrete. They can be polished and used in lounges, sidewalks or lobbies. They are easy to maintain and beautiful.
- There are mosaic floor tiles that are arranged to give a particular pattern or design. They are made from glass, porcelain and ceramic. They are easy to install and used mainly in open places such as churches, lobbies and public squares.
- Linoleum floor tiles are made from natural materials and are available in certain colors.
- Vinyl floor tiles are the cheapest and they can give you service of up to 15 years. They find uses in most homes.
- Bathroom floor tiles are made specifically to be used in bathrooms. These tiles are not easily destroyed by moisture or water and are durable. In addition, they are easy to clean. If you are looking for shower tile ideas, reading tile reviews and interior design magazines will give greatly help.
The advantages of having floor tiles are the functionality and aesthetic qualities all rolled into one. In addition, they help maintain and preserve your floors. Which among the aforesaid types of tiles you choose now depends on your need, taste, and budget as they obviously do not come with the same price tags.