A glass door is extremely elegant and chic. It is being used in office and even at homes today because of the sophistication it exudes. This may either be the swinging type or the sliding type. The sliding glass door is famous because of the fact that it is more elegant and easier to use. Here are some pros and cons of this type of door so that you can determine for yourself whether it is a worthy investment or not.
Pros of Glass Doors
- These doors are extremely practical. This holds true mainly for the sliding screen door because you won’t have to cram when you want to move big items. The sliding feature appears as a huge advantage when it comes to space because there are no hinges attached. They only work to slide and move across with ease so that you can carry or walk past without hassles.
- A glass door is transparent which makes the door a part of your interior decorations. Getting this door installed will add sparkle to your decor and make the whole house look classy. Having glass door knobs adds to the elegance of this door.
- Your rooms will receive ample light and breeze and thanks to the external screens, you are easily protected from bugs and insects. Receiving the sun’s light is always healthy. Your rooms will be well lit without having to power on your electric lights.
- These doors are environmental–friendly. Going green has become important to save the planet and you could do your bit by installing a glass door. You don’t need to use wood at all. Simple use of glass and metal frames is sufficient to come up with the most elegant looking doors.
Cons of Glass Doors
- This type of door is very expensive. The installation charges add up to the already existing expensive materials causing a big hole in your bank balance.
- Glass doors can’t withstand extreme conditions. Storms, frost and extreme heat can be harmful to your glass door. They can reduce the durability throughout the coming years.
- Glass doors are high maintenance. Getting one installed is not the end of it. You have to maintain it well and remember that it can be very difficult to get replacements of glass door parts. Also, costs of sliding glass door window treatments can really weigh you down.
Glass doors are not for everybody mainly because they require so much care and because they are so expensive. Not everyone can afford them and thus, they are not commonly seen at homes or offices today. However, if you can by all means afford them, consider them as your door for they will be a great addition to the elegance of your home furnishings.