If you are expecting, you must already be planning the arrival of your baby. You and your family members may have already started shopping in order to keep everything ready before your baby arrives. Baby crib bedding is probably one of the most essential things to think of while designing your baby’s nursery.
You have a lot to choose from when it comes to baby crib bedding and it’s essential to pick the right one. Crib bedding for the baby usually comprises of a sheet, a comforter, a crib dust ruffle and bumpers. It is not ideal to go by looks and pick the fluffiest baby crib bedding you can find. There are things that you must consider such as your baby’s comfort, safety and even gender when it comes to selecting bedding.
Important things to keep in mind:
- For the baby’s comfort, the thread count is important. However, thread count is not the only factor that plays an important role. The fluffiness that 400 thread sheet offer can also be provided by a sheet with 200 thread counts provided other factors during the manufacturing process of the cloth are met. Softness depends on chemicals, dyes and also the weaving process. Hence it’d be ideal to feel the softness before making a purchase. Too fluffy is not the right choice. Many paediatricians actually recommend a firm mattress that fits the crib perfectly.
- Your baby’s comfort will also depend on whether the baby crib bedding is hypoallergenic or organic. Hypoallergenic bedding is designed to keep your baby away from allergens like lint and dust. Organic bedding on the other hand is designed without the use of any chemicals, dyes, etc. It is completely natural and safe. Both types are typically good for the baby unless the baby is very sensitive to allergens. This usually is a case to case basis.
- When it comes to safety, size is an important factor. Size is usually standard but there are some variations too. The sheets, as mentioned must fit snugly and won’t come loose when the baby turns or plays. If the sheet is too loose, your little baby can get tangled leading to disastrous consequences. The corners must be tight and sturdy.
- When it comes to bedding, you should never go for hand-me downs and second hand goods. You should always buy new baby crib bedding because old ones may have small tears and holes. The elastic bands may also be broken, the size could be a problem and the bedding may not have followed the most recent standards of comfort and safety set by the government.
- You can make your purchase based on the gender of your baby too. The baby boy crib bedding can feature baseballs and puppies and may have the traditional color of blue. There are many variations to baby boy crib bedding sets that you could choose from. When it comes to baby girl crib bedding, flowers are the most popular and colored pink. You can always go for other feminine details depending on your preference.
Always make sure you buy something comfortable that you can afford. There are numerous options and you can easily find something that will fit your budget.