A silicone sealant as the name suggests is a powerful sealing product or an adhesive that is used for a wide range of purposes. It finds applications for household sealing and also for vehicles and other purposes. The reason why it is used is that it is extremely flexible and remains as such even after application. Even though it is not as strong as a few of its counterparts, it can withstand high temperatures and thus the high temperature silicone sealant is very useful. This property makes it applicable on engine gaskets and other such places where the temperature is usually very high. Here are some of the uses of the silicone sealant and how it has come to be preferred.
You could buy a silicone sealant in different forms. There are one component variations as well as two component variations.
- Two component form: There are two different compounds that have to be mixed together in order to get the sealant. This mixture needs to made just before use. It can’t be left unused. This is why this type of sealant is usually not used.
- One component form: This is easier to use because there is no mixing. There are different types in this variation such as the RTV sealant or the Room Temperature Vulcanizing sealant. It starts drying or curing on exposure to air. Hence, you should be careful to finish your work quickly.
The Types and Its Applications
- There are many other types of sealants such as the pressure sensitive sealant and the radiation cured silicone sealant. The names are derived from the requirement of their curing.
- This is also an excellent roof sealant for leaks. It seals any kinds of leaks in your house permanently and causes no further problems.
- Silicone rubber sheet is extremely helpful in sealing rubber. It has a number of applications in automobiles and other related fields.
- Since a silicone sealant is so flexible, it is amazingly helpful for arts and crafts and other hobbies. It is a good sealant and provides the required adhesion according to your purpose.
- Sealing an engine regardless of the presence of gaskets is another useful application.
Since a silicone sealant has so many applications and comes handy in so many ways, it’d be a great idea to have one at your house. Just make sure that the sealant you are buying does not have any harmful chemicals that can pose health hazards. There are many safe options available and you can choose among those.