With a dance wear like that of belly dancing, surely you will have all eyes on you! This dance performance wear mesmerizes the audience with its playful colors, sequins and embroideries.
Costume Types And How It Looks
This type of dance wear is commonly called as the bedlah style. This includes a fitted top or bra, a fitted hip belt or dance belt and a harem pants or skirt. The bra and dance belt are always richly decorated with sequins, beads, embroidery and sometimes coins. The dance belt can either be separated or sewn to the skirt or pants and may have a straight edge, curved or angled. The skirt is flowing and is made of multiple layer of sheer chiffon fabric. The harem pants are gathered at the ankle and can be worn together with the skirt.
- Egyptian Costume
Egypt is famous for belly dancing. Their belly dance wear consists of a bra and skirt. A dance belt (this does not refer to dance belts worn by men) is rarely used since embellishment are sewn directly to waistline in the skirt. They cover their belly buttons with a ring. Traditionally, they dance bare footed.
- Turkish Costume
The bedlah belly dance wear is used in Turkey. They wore plunging bras and skirts designed to display the legs up to the hips. This reflects the playful and flirty side of Turkish belly dancing.
- Lebanese Costume
In Lebanon, the bedlah dance wear is also used since there is no prohibition in showing off one’s stomach. Compared to the Egyptian outfit, the skirts are skimpier showing off more of the dancer’s body. They wear veils that match the color of their outfit and high heels.
- American Costume
Usually, American dancers pattern their costume with that of Egypt and Turkey but the distinct features of their belly dance wear is the headband with fringe, coins and metals decoration on their bra and sheer harem pants or skirt.
Steps And Techniques
Most belly dance movements are similar to jazz ballet. It involves the hips, shoulder, chest, stomach and other parts to be isolated and requires correct posture and muscle control. The focus is always at the hip and pelvic area. Now, you can try these steps and see if you can wave your belly.
- Hip Hits – This is performed by moving the hips up and down by contracting the gluteus muscles and isolating the hip area. Weight is distributed on a single leg with the other toes pointed or it can be distributed across both legs. Shoulders or chest can also be used to perform this.
- Shimmy or Shiver – A shimmer is created by hips vibration. When the knees move past each other at high speed with contracted gluteus, the simplest shimmy is produced. Lower back or thighs maybe used to create various movements. This can be performed in directions such as side to side, up and down or forward and backward. The shoulders and chest can be used to perform a shimmy too.
- Undulations – This is created by fluid movements of the abdominal muscles and chest or the hips in a rotating or circular manner. A variety of this movement exists but the rotating movement is the most common one. This type is trying to imitate the movement when one rides a camel.
Belly dancing has earned its name in the health sector because of the health benefits it provides. Here is a list of these benefits.
- Osteoporosis prevention
- Improved torso and abdominal muscle strength and flexibility
- Strengthens spine, arms and shoulders
- Legs and long muscles at the back becomes firm
- For women, a positive approach on their sexuality and bodies
When planning to do belly dancing, choose from the types of belly dance wear that would fit your personality. If you wanted to go with a sexier look, go for the Lebanese or Turkish costume. Discount dance wears are all over the internet. All you need is to search the best one. Always put in mind how comfortable you are with your belly dance wear for you not to be affected with the dance performance.