Construction adhesive refers to a huge group of similar products that can strongly bond materials for construction, renovation and completion of various projects, and in most cases, it is also used to create a dependable seal that is water-proof. Its importance lies in its ability to fully bond the surfaces of the materials in your project which is why you need to use the best to ensure its success. This various projects include building, landscaping, flooring, roofing and tiling projects.
Characteristics of the Best Construction Adhesive
- They may be water-based or solvent-based
- They are used to seal so they are water resistant or even waterproof
- Their packaging could either be in cans, caulking tubes or tubes that you can squeeze
- Their consistency for the pasty is quite thick
- Unlike other adhesives, they stay flexible after drying out
- They dry out in less than one day
- They can be used to bond almost any type of building materials
Applying construction adhesive to the surface of any material is quite easy. The most basic principle is to clean the area first where you plan to apply the adhesive by wiping or taking out all the contaminants such as the dirt and the dusts. Just like other types of heavy duty construction adhesives, it works best when the area is clean as well as dry and so old paints, grease or oils or perhaps wax must be stripped out first. Instruction must be followed as to how to apply this on your material. These instructions always come as part of the package. You have to let it dry by giving it time. Put the same pressure on all parts of the surface that you want to bond for better results.
Categories of Construction Adhesive
- Specialty adhesives: These are designed as a quick solution to do-it-yourself type of project repairs and materials. They can also include instant adhesives and those types that are ideal for surfaces that are difficult to reach.
- Moisture cure: This is perfect for materials that requires the strongest construction adhesive because it can withstand moisture or extreme temperatures, great stress and is water resistant. It can be used in glass, wood, steel, plastic or almost any type of material. There are two types of moisture cure adhesives and these are polyurethane as well as silicone.
- Water-based: These are adhesives that are easy to clean with water while providing strength. There are many types of water-based adhesives such as resin cements, vegetable glues, animal / protein glues and latex cements. The very common contact cement falls under this category.
- Roofing / landscape and contact adhesive: The construction adhesive that can withstand extreme temperatures such as heat of the sun, water, snow at the same time as its use expects them to be exposed to these types of harsh environmental conditions all the time.
- Flooring construction and contact adhesive: Created to be used for the flooring timbers, it is also great for vinyl, cork, leather, rubber, upholstery and many other materials.
- Tiling: These are the types of adhesives that are created to make tile installation and repair a lot easier. There are adhesives that has already been mixed and specialists that are both grout and adhesive.
- Thermal adhesives: These are those types of adhesives that are converted to liquid by first heating it up.
- Two-part adhesive: These are those adhesives wherein the user has to combine two or more parts so that they react chemically and form a strong adhesive.
When buying construction adhesive the user has to first find out the material and the kind of environment where the adhesive will be used in order to ensure success in the project.