Advantages of fiber optic cable are many. Likewise there are a few minor disadvantages too. Fiber optic cables are somewhat new compared to the old copper cable connections used for ages. Made up of glass or plastic capable of transmitting light signals, these cables are capable of passing data at a very high speed.
Advantages of Fiber Optic Cable
- High bandwidth is the main advantage of using fiber optic cables.
- The data transmission rate is much greater than the one in copper cables or the coaxial cables. Hence, most of the broadband service providing companies and several cable operators has switched to fiber optic cables, like the Toslink cable.
- Initially these cables transmitted 280 megabits per second. Now they transmit millions of megabits per second.
- Since, they are made up of glass they don’t get corroded easily like copper. Hence, their life time is much longer than the other cables.
- Glass cables are much lighter than the traditional copper cables. Hence, they are easy to install and remove.
- They are readily available in various lengths in nearly any hardware stores.
Disadvantages of Fiber Optic Cables
There is lot of dispersion in the fiber optic cables compared to other traditional means of transmitting data.
- Copper cables transmit data in the form of volts while fiber optic cables transmit in the form of light. Hence, the optical signals can propagate in any direction.
- Two or more fiber cables are necessary if we need a bidirectional signal.
Prone to Bending
- These cables can be easily bent unlike the traditional copper cables. So, installing them in areas susceptible to high pressure is not advisable.
- The cost of installing these cables is quite high. They can cost twice the amount of installing copper cables or even more in some cases.
- Though they are very common these days, they were quite costly when they were introduced. Furthermore, they took lot of time to splice together and make them work efficiently.
- No such problem exists these days as most of the technicians know how to install and repair the minor faults in these cables.
The advantages of fiber optic cable outweigh its costs and minor disadvantages by all means. Hence, these cables have nearly replaced other means of data transmission from most of the countries. Researches on improving the capacity of the fiber optic cables are carried on all over the world.
Modern day cables are much faster than the first generation cables. They can be used for various purposes like dual power lines, as aerial telephone poles and in installation of internet for houses. Their easy availability and good performance paves way more research resulting in improvisation of data transmission speed day by day.
You might not be aware how fiber optic cables work and facilitate in your daily undertakings and you may never even know how complex its jobs could be even if it could just be too small to be doing some great jobs. You may have heard about its term but you may never really know what it is for and how they have been doing to help us daily.
This type of cable can be usually found in the cables in your internet, television, and in your mobile phones. They are too tiny just like the strand of your hair yet they can perform such excellent jobs for you, isn’t it amazing?
Types of Fiber Optic Cables
The fiber optic cables have different types which you should know in order for you to be able to identify one from the others. Basically, there are two different types of fiber optic cables the singlemode fiber and the multimode fiber.
- Singlemode fiber: used to transmit information for long distance transmissions through a laser light since it can be used up to 100 kilometers or 62 miles
- Multimode fiber: can only be used up to 2 kilometers or 1.25 miles both are without repeaters.
Uses of Fiber Optic Cables
Fiber optic cables can also be used in so many other ways like it can be used in some audio cabling wherein the fiber optic audio cables are being used.
- This audio cable which are fiber optic can really be used and very helpful in your home since these are being used for television and the DVDs and CDs.
- Since this is also used in some internet cables, it really makes the connections very high.
- You may also be able to use audio cables for your car audio components.
Where to Buy:
On-site Stores and Retailers
The fiber optic cables can usually be bought from electrical stores in your community or from department stores and malls where the retailers or distributors of such have been able to display this so that most people will get to buy this type of cable easily.
You may also buy some custom fiber optic cables from online stores where you may be able to see its features and be able to view its usage. Most of the fiber optics that are being offered online are really being reviewed by many so you would be able to really know what type that you are going to buy.
Cost of Fiber Optic Cables
The cost of most fiber optic cables can vary from the type those they you are going to buy and for what its usage may be. The Toslink cable may also vary in pricing depending on the kind of brand that it has as well as on where you are going to connect it to.
- This type of cable is usually used for audio purposes as in for connecting your CDs, DVDs, video games and the likes.
- Like the other kind of cables, fiber optic ones could be quite a lot more expensive than the ordinary cables because of the kind of materials that it has been using which actually are some fiber glasses and never plastic ones.
There are several kinds of audio cables that you can find both in the market in your locality as well as in the online market and one very durable and high quality cable is the Toslink cable which can be very helpful because it is the kind of audio cable that caters to various audio formatting.
By buying it, you can readily use it to wherever you are going to connect it with since this may be very compatible to all types of cable. You may be able to buy this type to both in the store in your area or through online market also.
Tips in Shopping for Audio Cables
- Before you buy some audio cables, you must need to know what these cables are for and how they can help you in some things at home.
- If you plan on buying some digital audio cables then make sure that you know the exact price for it and where you will be able to buy it. This is to ensure that you will not have the hassle of going around looking for it and in the end have bought some other kinds of cable instead of what you have originally have sought after.
- You must also prepare the exact budget for it so that you will not be hassled too much.
You might as well as go online searching for audio cables that you can buy from online markets which of course could really have several companies that would be offering online. You may be able to see each type of cables as well as you can easily search for some high end audio cables that you can acquire from online market.
This type of audio cable can be quite expensive because of its quality and durability that it really has and you may be able to know also if such is really of good quality by reading the reviews of it from their websites which could really be very helpful.
Before you go to a store and buy the audio cables that you may want to buy, make sure that you already have known the prices from other stores where this cable is available.
- The best thing for you to do is to call each of the electrical and hardware stores in your locality in order to know if they really have this type of cable in their stores.
- You may also be able to ask each store how much such cable costs so that you will be able to compare prices and know where exactly you are going to buy one.
- Optical audio cables may also be available in the same stores so you will not have a hard time in finding the same.
How Much Are Audio Cables?
- Prices for audio cables usually differ from the kind of brand that manufactures it.
- Prices may also differ depending on the type of cable like if it is a singlemodal or multimodal one.
- Some of the audio cable whose prices are really very cheap which usually have a price range of $2.50 to $6.95 and there are also that are really very expensive like it has the range of $18 to $50.
- The price could also differ from state to state as well as country to country; however, you may also be able to find some discounted ones from retailers in an online market.
There are various sizes, kinds and configurations in audio cables but the most popular of them is the Toslink cable, which is usually called an optical cable. It is an optical fiber cable that is standardized and used for connecting electronic equipment like DAT recorders and CD players. The best toslink cable for you depends on the bandwidth and application. For digital video and audio, the standard is PCM or Pulse Code Modulation. EIAJ optical is the standard name.
What’s Toslink Cable Made Of?
Most optical toslink cable is made with plastic optical multistrand quality fibers or 1mm optical plastic fiber, which is substantially cheaper. The length of the Toslink cable is typically five meters although there are cables that are ten meters long. If you will use a Toslink fiber optic cable that is longer than ten meters, you need something that will boost your signal. More modern applications allow the cable to be as long as a hundred meters.
More About The Toslink Cable
Toslink was originally invented by Toshiba for use in their CD players in 1983. However, it was developed for use by other manufacturers of CD players because it provides smooth data transmission – something that cannot be done with electric data transmission owing to noise distortion. Because of its excellent performance, the Toslink cable was favored over other models and adopted by other electronics manufacturers. In fact, Toslink became the standard for audio cable because of the ease it can connect the main source host to various components.
At present, the Toslink optical cable is made by so many different manufacturers that although it is still referred to as Toslink, it no longer has anything to do with its original maker, Toshiba. Thus, if you need a Toslink cable, you will not find it difficult to find one because optical cables are all over online and traditional stores.
Toslink can support various media formats and physical standards. Its main components are the Receiving and Transmission Module, cable and Optical Connector. Electrical signals are converted into optical through the Receiving and Transmission Module.
Originally the audio signal in the Toslink cable is limited to 48 kilohertz at 20 bits. However, this limit has since been changed to accommodate modern technology. An exception is TrueHD, DTS HD and Dolby Digital Plus. There is another kind of jack in the market that is called mini Toslink jack, which is commonly used in mini portable disc players and Apple computers. However, you can connect a mini Toslink Jack to a regular optical cable by means of an adapter.
Tips in Buying Toslink Cables
- Do not spend a lot on audio cables since the difference in terms of quality is small between a 200 and 20 dollar brand. Choose one that fits your budget.
- Toslink cables are called different names so do not get confused when you see the various options available at the store. SPDIF cable, optical audio cable or optical audio digital cable all means the same thing.
Having a printer unit at home is beneficial especially if family members require regular printing of documents or pictures. For offices, businesses, and industries, a document printer is a must. Based on the user’s printing needs and budget constraints, a particular type of printer may be preferred to serve such purpose.
Dot Matrix Printers
For the younger generation or those unfamiliar with this type, Dot Matrix printers are the first printing machines introduced and sold to the public. Though they may now be considered outdated, many businesses and offices still prefer using Dot Matrix printers.
- They are easy to use, durable, cheaper to maintain, and perfect for printing continuous documents or any other essential forms like receipts, invoices, etc.
- Though the printing color is monotone, the printer is rather noisy and these printers are only capable of printing texts, they are still very much reliable.
Inkjet printers are the most widely used types of printers at homes, offices, and businesses worldwide.
- All inkjet printers employ the same principle of spraying liquid ink or a combination of two or more inks to arrive at the desired printed texts or images.
- To manipulate precise printing, every inkjet printer is equipped with computer software and programs that are connected or linked to computers and other similar gadgets which eventually creates and relays printing commands and instructions.
- Unlike the old Dot Matrix printers, inkjets printers are highly flexible, are capable of printing multi-colored texts and images, and some other features and functionalities.
- Majority of the top printer brands are offering these types of printers from the small personal units up to the heavy duty large format printer ones.
A lot of individuals prefer using laser printers because of the higher quality of outputs, they have the fastest printing speeds, and are very durable or heavy duty.
- Laser printers enjoy similarities with inkjet printers except in terms of the printing dye used and the capacity or volume of printing.
- Instead of liquid inks, laser printers employ black carbon powder or technically termed as toners enclosed in small printer drums.
- Based on the printing command of the computer, the integrated laser technology attracts toner into the blank paper and with the aid of heat; the carbon powder is melted and pressed to the paper.
As the title suggests, photo printers are specifically designed for photo developing and printing. Photo printers may further be classified either as a personal or industrial type.
- Personal photo printers are those widely sold in the market, relatively smaller, and may be used for ordinary photo printing purposes only.
- The larger and industrial ones on the other hand are used by industries and businesses like photo development shops that cater to a large number of clients and any other special photo printing requirements.
A lot of printer manufacturers like Brother have ventured into the production of printing machines or units that integrate one or two additional functions or features like fax machines, telephones, scanners, copiers, etc. These are multifunction printers and are very much ideal for both home and office use.
When considering purchasing a printer either for personal, home, or business use, there are a lot of considerations that should be taken into account. Among which are the printer’s type, its printing capacity, quality, price, ink usage, etc. But perhaps, the most striking consideration will have to be the choice of a particular brand. Opting for the best brands will only mean that a printer has been well proven and tested not only by experts but majority of consumers.
Aside from being a global leader in photography, cameras, and other optical and imaging products, Canon has also been the worldwide favorite for various printing solutions and printer units.
- The brand has a wide range of options available from the smaller photo printers, personal inkjets and laser printers, to the more larger and heavy duty large format printer used in businesses and other industries.
- Canon printers are user friendly, all printer models are designed to produce high resolution outputs, and the brand is recognized as one of the best in terms of printing capacity.
- Though some Epson printers may slightly be costlier compared to other popular brands like HP and Canon, said price difference is well compensated by the highest printing quality and standards.
- This printer brand may be considered as the forerunner of any other brands in the industry.
- If one would try to check, the oldest types of durable and still reliable printers like dot matrix and inkjets were the ideas of Epson.
Hewlett Packard / HP
HP is another popular and global favorite in terms of computing and printing products.
- The printer product line is very vast, providing options for personal, home, business, and industrial uses.
- Price of each printing solution or unit is quite reasonable, printer capacity is high, and output quality is also ensured.
- Just like every other printer brands, a lot of HP printers are now manufactured with additional sets of features and functionalities.
Output quality and added functionality are also among the reasons why Lexmark have made it to the hearts of the printing public. A lot of this brand’s units are mainly focus to serve the printing needs of households, businesses, and industries, even with the toughest requirements.
- Innovation has also added to the distinctive ranking of this particular brand; there are printers equipped with easily accessible USB ports, and the brand is also responsible for the introduction of Wi-Fi printers.
Though Brother may seem a new brand, it has already been in existence in the market for a couple of years.
- Among the notable distinctive features of this brand is the effective combination of two or more functionalities.
- Some Brother printers are equipped with fax machines, scanners, telephones, etc. With such inclusion of features, consumers prefer this brand to be able to get the most value and benefits out of the purchase price.