In the last few years, technology has taken a huge leap. Gone are the times when there was only one type of televisions with limited options. There are numerous options to explore today and currently there is a stiff competition between LCD VS LED technology. Both these are the latest television types and it is often confusing to choose among them. There are also plasma televisions such as the Panasonic 42 plasma TVs featured in this site that came before LCDs.
However, if you are planning on buying a great quality television equipped with many features, it is important to know about each type. Simply walking to the store and picking the first model you find will only be a waste of money. Since there is so much competition, you will be the ultimate judge of LCD VS LED.
Here is some information about each in order to help you compare the features and ultimately decide the best one for your living room.
Comparing LCD VS LED
LCD TV: LCD technology is not latest. It has been in the market for many years now. The basic technology is same as that used in a pocket calculator and it is the fluorescent backlit technology. Listed below are some of the advantages and disadvantages of LCD television sets
- When plasma vs LCD vs LED are taken into account, LCD TVs show the best lifespan. They are expected to run smoothly for more than 30 years.
- They are more power efficient in comparison to plasma televisions but not when compared to the LED counterparts.
- Variety is huge. You can choose from a small computer screen to a display larger than 60 inches. You can choose thus, according to your convenience and preference.
- Coming to weight, it is lighter than a plasma television and can conveniently be mounted on you wall.
- LCD TVs are costlier than plasma TVs but the prices are falling by the day because of the increase in productivity and variations in the market today.
- They are the worst when it comes to performance. Hence, when LCD VS LED are thought of on the basis of performance, LED scores. The contrast level is low as well as slow when compared to LED and plasma.
- The viewing angle is narrow.
LED TV: The main difference between LED and LCD is the light source. While fluorescent light source is used in LCD, LEDs are used in LED TVs and that is where the name comes from. Here is information about these televisions:
- The contrast provided is amazing.
- They are extremely thin. There are variants that are only about an inch in thickness.
- They are power efficient and that is why they score way over plasma TVs and LCD TVs.
- They are the most reliable and the best among all three competitors.
- The main and probably the only disadvantage is that LED televisions can be very expensive. They cost a lot more than LCDs and that is the reason they are not often purchased. However, the prices are expected to fall significantly in the near future as the technology improves and gets cheaper to produce.
Now that you have all the required information, you can make your own choice and decide the best between LCD VS LED. It might be obvious as to which one is better but it will ultimately depend on your preferences and your budget. Regardless of technology, it is still highly recommended to read reviews on different models and brands to get an idea of their performance. Comparing LCD VS LED is one thing, comparing brands and models is another.