One major downside to disposable nappies, it is its impact to Mother Earth. Imagine that a single disposable nappy is estimated to decompose on an average of 500 years under ideal weather conditions. Consider the number of babies using an average of 8 to 12 disposable nappies each day for a newborn and about 6 to 8 for an older one all around the world. This would mean scarcity of a good landfill for them to decompose. So, the first disposable nappy that was ever introduced to the market as a solution to some natural motherhood inconveniences is still buried somewhere underground up to now and will remain there, slowly decomposing for several more centuries. We just know something has to be done, and that is to introduce washable nappies if only to be responsible citizens of this world.
Advantages Of Washable Nappies
Aside from the impact of disposable nappies to the environment, here are a few other benefits of using washable nappies:
- It is more practical to use. Imagine that each child has different developmental milestones. On the average, kids may still wear nappies for an average of 2 ½ to 3 years. Buying reusable nappies may be more expensive initially, but because they can be used again or even passed on to another baby, they turn out to save you much more. Plus, other babies can even reach up to 4 years old and still need to be worn a nappy.
- Given the best washable nappies, they are actually better in leak-proofing than its disposable counterpart.
- Washable nappies are also more skin-friendly. According to statistics, children experience less skin rashes on washable nappies than on disposable ones.
- Shorter potty training. Ask parents who have been on washable nappies and compare their experience with those who have been using disposable ones. It has been observed that because disposable ones has that dry feeling for babies even after they make a pee, the parents spend more time in potty training or educating them about communicating when they feel like it than if they have been using cloth diapers.
- Washable nappies can be a beautiful fashion statement. The recent call to educate parents about the effects of disposable diapers mainly to the environment has led parents to prefer using washable cloth nappies. This demand as what is obvious in the washable nappies reviews has pushed many manufacturers to give more options to parents. Thirsties diaper covers come in different colors to match the parents’ taste and a lot of varied prints. Some have simple shapes and patterns like circles and hearts, others have themes and character prints that make the babies more adorable to look at.
On a final note, washable nappies can be made up of many materials you can choose from. Some washable nappies are made of wool, nylon, polyurethane laminate or PUL, polyester, or fleece. Regardless of which material you choose, you are certain to get one that makes your baby comfortable, cool and dry.