Termites are pests that feed on wood. While wood is their main food, their diet also includes plants, soil and other substances that contain cellulose. Some of them can really cause damages to wood properties. Thankfully though, experts have worked hard to avoid future termite plagues and have come up with reliable termite treatments. There are actually numerous termite treatments and the best termite treatment mainly depends on the type of termite infestation.
Types of Termites
There are different types of termites but only a couple of them can cause nuisance. The types of termites that cause severe damages to houses are:
- drywood termites
- subterranean termites
Several years back, there have been cases of huge buildings and theaters that have been destroyed to dust by these termites.
Termite Treatment Procedure
Aside from hiring people to do termite control, you can also save money by making your DIY termite treatment procedure. You can employ this treatment in order to keep your house free of termites. Here is what you need do.
You will need the following:
- Hammer drill
- Termite treatment chemicals
- Concrete drill bit [1/2 inch by 18 inches]
- Concrete patch filler
- Putty knife
- Sprayer (high powered)
What you should do:
- At the exterior or interior walls of your house, mark holes and drill these holes with the help of the drill bit. If you do it exteriorly at the concrete ground, make sure that the holes are 4 inches or more away from the house.
- Each hole must be around 12 inches away from each other.
- Use your sprayer and fill all holes with the termite treatment chemicals. Fill as much as you can.
- Now use the concrete patch mix and the putty knife to patch the holes. It can take longer if you have a large house.
- Add baiting stations to improve protection against termites and keep your house safe from these pests.
Things to Remember
Here are several things about termite treatments you should keep in mind.
- The severity of the infestation is important and you should analyze it before considering any termite treatment.
- The severity also determines the termite treatment cost and thus, it is very important.
- You should ask for professional help if the infestation is very severe or if you can’t manage it on your own. You must not take any kind of risk with termites because you could end up spending a lot more than needed.
- Termite control companies will tell you all you need to know about the infestation, the time required in treating termites and the treatment cost. They usually offer termite bond which is similar to an insurance policy.
There are numerous termite treatment products and tools in the market that you could try out like termite baiting system and liquid sprays. However, it is always ideal to go for natural treatment because it is safe and effective. Make haste in planning and carrying out your treatment procedure for a termite-free and termite treated house.