Tetherball is an active and fun sport that can be played by almost anyone in a one vs. one format. This article will guide you through some of the basics of the game.
Steps on Creating the Tetherball Gaming Area
To play tether ball, you will first need to install or find a pole that is roughly 8 feet high. If you can’t find an existing pole, you will need to install a pole as followed.
- 10 foot pole
i) Locate the spot that you would like to install the pole and dig a hole about one foot wide and 2 ½ to 3 feet deep.
ii) In the meantime, you will want to begin mixing the cement with water inside an appropriate container.
iii) Once the hole and cement are ready, pour half foot of the cement in first, then insert the pole and fill the remainder of the hole with the extra cement.
iv) As the cement is drying, make sure that the pole is at a 90 degree angle to the ground, sticking straight up.
v) Once the cement is set, you will need to drill a hole in the top of the pole so you can insert the rope.
vi) At this time, you will need to acquire a tetherball set consisting of the rope, ball and rope stop. Install the set and your ready to go.
NOTE: An additional option is to install a sand pit around your playing area. Though this is not needed, if you choose to do this, measure a 12 foot circle around the tetherball pole, dig about 6 inches deep and pour the sand inside.
Basic Rules of the Game
If you want to know how to play tetherball, you much know the rules of the game.
- First, find a partner to play with and stand on opposite sides of the tetherball court.
- The first player will serve the ball. To serve the ball, place the ball in your left hand and hit it with smooth slap in either direction.
- The goal of tetherball is to wrap the entire rope around the pole in the same direction of your serve.
- Your opponent must try to accomplish the same goal, but in the opposite direction as you.
- You can redirect the tetherball by hitting it with your hands or fists, or using your body parts such as your head, torso and feet.
- Alternatively, some play with the rules that you are only allowed to use your hands to redirect the ball. In either case, you may not catch or throw the ball to your opponent.
- If someone breaks this rule, you may call a penalty to stop the game and unwrap the tetherball a set amount of rounds.
Now that you know how to play tetherball, spread the word and invite your friends to play. Tetherball is a fun game that almost anyone can play. As you improve, you will find what types of volleys wont and which does work very well. Once you learn how to play tetherball, you will find it to be a fun and exciting sport that many of your friends will enjoy.