A wireless microphone is a portable and versatile device that you can use to broadcast or record sounds. If you are a performer or a journalist, you can work without having to use a cable to connect the microphone to a recorder, speaker or camera. This wireless microphone uses radio signal for the communication between the receiver and transmitter.
A wireless microphone system will be useful at events such as talent shows, award shows and many more. This is because the microphone can help amplify voices or record them in such a way that users can dance, walk, point on a map or move in any other way without being bothered by a cumbersome cord.
2 Main Types of Wireless Microphones
- Bodypack Microphone: This wireless microphone is a tiny box with the battery pack and transmitter, but not a proper physical microphone. You can attach the bodypack to your belt or somewhere else and it comes with a wire that would go to the headset.
- Handheld Microphone: This is similar to the standard wireless microphone, but has a larger body to house the battery pack and transmitter.
How Wireless Microphones Work
This type of microphones is made with a technology like the mechanisms used in a wireless microphone headset and speakers. Three components work collectively to produce and transmit signals to be amplified or recorded.
Components of a Wireless Microphone
- Microphone: A tiny device that you can clip on your lapel or around your ear.
- Transmitter: This is the device that is responsible for converting audio to signal in the UHF, VHF or FM radio bands.
- Antennae: This device broadcasts signal to a distance that is a lot shorter than sounds which come through a car radio. Since this antenna is large, it can be one of the components of a self-contained microphone.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Using Wireless Microphones
Perhaps the main advantage of using a wireless microphone is that it offers freedom of movement. You are not constrained by a cable because this wireless system transmits audio signals through the air without cables. You can avoid the problems associated with cable cords when you have to move about constantly with a microphone. Since the microphone is connected to a transmitter, signals will be received by a recording device or audio console.
The biggest disadvantage of wireless microphones is that they have a low battery life, so they can only be used for a limited time. Furthermore, the microphone will not work if you are out of range. At times, other microphones or radios will interfere with the wireless devices.
- You can choose a Shure wireless microphone, especially the SM58 model, which is rated as the most popular and the hottest system by club users. These systems deliver good quality sound that is clean and crisp.
- The Yeti microphone is also very popular. You can get this USB microphone to create blogs, podcasts, home recordings and more.
- Telex Wireless Microphone is another trusted brand for wireless microphones. This brand also offers a lot of accessories for their selections of microphones.
Now that you have ample information about the wireless microphone, you can buy the right one to suit your requirements! So, hurry and grab one of these portable and reliable wireless microphones.