It is always nice to buy a gift but only personalization can make it special. Especially when you are planning on giving something like a homemade frame, it is important to make sure you have your own touches in it, too. Even when you are doing it for yourself or your own pictures, it is always nice to put in some extra effort. Photo frames in themselves are extremely close to the heart because they preserve memories. Adding personal touches makes them all the more special. A homemade frame also saves you money and gives you immense satisfaction.
Homemade Frame Ideas
- The most important thing when it comes to a homemade frame is planning. You have to plan the design, color, measurements, materials and theme of the project. An 18×24 frame measurement is ideal most of the times.
- Once you know what you are going to do, start cutting. You have to be very careful with the measurements because any carelessness could cost you a lot of time and patience.
- You can use anything to make your frame such as cardboard, paper or even plywood. Plywood is easily available too and you don’t have to work hard to find the perfect one. It is also cheap thus, ideal.
- However, if you don’t want to work with a saw and nails, you can choose cardboard and paper and some acrylic paints to make the perfect frame.
- To be sure of the lines along which you have to cut, use a pencil to draw markings. Cutting along the marking will be ideal and easier.
- Use a good quality cardboard cutter to get clean and proper cuts.
- Paint the cardboard with the color of your choice and leave it to dry. Don’t hurry with this step. Go slow with the painting and let it dry on its own accord. Once it dries, use another paint color to draw your design or to write the message or name that you want to.
- Once the second layer of paint dries, use shellac sealant. It will be a good couple of hours or more before your paint dries. Just let it be.
- During this while, you can cut strips to paste on the backside corners of your frame for stability.
- Cut out four strips and connect their edges. Triangular shapes will be formed. This is important because they will hold your picture in place.
- Slide your picture in gently and add hooks or a string to hang it.
The best thing about homemade frame is that you can choose the size of the frame and its shape too. This is just a simple technique of making a simple picture frame at home. You can use more ideas and come up with newer designs yourself.