Video surveillance cameras are used by governments, law enforcers, organizations, businesses or individual people for different purposes such as monitoring, protecting and directing. There are outdoor video surveillance cameras which are used to observe an area such as traffic and public places where people pass by or gather. They are normally connected to a recording device where they are watched by a law enforcement officer. The footage is also recorded using unique software that stores that data in a database that is searchable and can be retrieved. Outdoor surveillance cameras are made to be water proof, and can withstand the harsh weather changes they experience when outside.
Benefits of Video Surveillance Cameras
Cameras are expensive to use for everyday footage, but you can get cheap surveillance equipment that you can use for everyday surveillance. Ordinary cameras used in broadcasting are different from video surveillance cameras in that the signal. Such a signal is not transmitted openly, but it may use point to point, or to different points transmission. Below are some of the advantages and benefits of video surveillance cameras;
- They are tools to help provide security to the society against unlawful people. They can be used to monitor their movement, and law enforcers can hence take action. They can be placed in public areas where people gather most the time such as public transport or parking lot.
- Video surveillance cameras can be used in industrial plants to monitor processes in areas where humans are not allowed because of safety reasons.
- Businesses such as departmental stores, which are prone to theft, use video surveillance cameras to monitor the activities in the premises.
- They are also used in banks to prevent theft by recording of any criminal act taking place. The benefit is very valuable that in most Hollywood films, video cameras are always the first to be taken down by robbers.
- Video surveillance cameras are used in traffic to detect the occurrence of accidents or congestion on roads. With the help of these videos, the government will be able to create studies on how to prevent these accidents to happen. This is evident with the street signs, warnings and even how they paint the road.
Availability of Surveillance Cameras
Before, video surveillance technology was not as advanced as today. It was extremely difficult to get cheap video surveillance cameras. This made the cost of getting and installing one offer security purposes exceptionally high, and it was rarely used by institutions. Even the government installs these surveillance gadgets on select places only. Today, you can get a cheap video surveillance camera that can be used twenty four hours to watch over troublesome spots without spending a fortune.
Some places put up video surveillance signs where video surveillance cameras are placed so that the public is aware about it. Hidden video surveillance cameras are hidden or disguised as another object. It is used, in household surveillance to observe a nanny left with the kids in the house, but also used in business and industrial premises for security purposes. These hidden cameras serve as the owner’s eye when they are not around. This is indeed a very practical way to assure security for extra cautious people.