The double breasted suit is a timeless and classic piece that has continuously evolved with time. This piece can be dated back to the 1980s when it was the power suit of the time. Modern designs of this suit are a bit more complex as compared to the original designs. While in the past the double breasted suits were designed to be in loose fitting, today mens double breasted suit has a slim tailored silhouette, and their trousers have a slim cut with no plaits whatsoever, and a plain hem with no cuffs.
Distinct Feature for a Stylish Look
When it comes to the double breasted suit jacket, it stands out from all other kinds of suit jackets with its very light padding, accompanied with a high button stance. The first closable button on the jacket of a double breasted suit is roughly one and a half inches above the level of the belly button. This feature on this kind of suit jacket is quite distinctive thus making this suit stylish.
How To Wear Them Properly
As much as the double breasted suits are an outfit to brag about, it is very important that they are worn in the right way for that elegant and fine look. The following are some tips on how to wear a black double breasted suit:
- Ensure that the suit you go for is your size. Too big or too small ruins the executive look this suit is supposed to give you.
- It is advisable that you button up the suit jacket as doing this makes one look as formal as they come.
- Go for this suit in flexible fabrics as well as colour.
- Match this suit with a dark colored tie.
Executive Look Anytime
With double breasted suits, it s always advisable that one goes for a dark color and what defines dark more than black? A black double breasted suit is the epitome of elegance and style. As much as it has a slimming effect especially when buttoned up, this suit is appropriate for all body types as well as all skin tones. A double breasted suit is more of an official kind of suit as compared to the single breasted ones. For this reason, these suits are commonly worn to the following places:
- business meetings
- Cocktail events and luncheons
Top Selling Designer Suit
Ermenigilldo Zegna, a popular fashion house in Italy is responsible for the manufacturing of the Zegna suits, a premier kind of suits made of the highest quality materials made into different styles and designs. This company also came up with its own unique design of the double breasted suit, and were the top sellers for some time in the whole of the United States.
Double breasted suits are bound to remain to be the timeless pieces and every man should strive to own a pair of this suit.
Looking good is always wanted by anyone. To men looking for a formal attire, one of the best option is perhaps a double breasted suit. From fashion designer brands to lower end brands, double breasted suits spell formality and class whether it’s an expensive one or not. Hence, the double breasted suit has always been a major option for men ever since they came into the market. Sporting a slightly redesigned look from its classic era, it still provides a sophisticated and appealing look to men of all frame types and body structures. Whether it’s well-fitted or striped, they certainly give a stunning look and men love wearing them. From celebrities like David Beckham, royalties like Prince Charles, and politicians like Former US president Bill Clinton, you might see them sporting one from time to time. If they wore them, you should perhaps try one as well.
Mens Double Breasted Suit Key Features
- A sleek V-line structure that accents the shoulders and trims the waist.
- Small chest pocket
- Two rows of symmetrical buttons
- Overlapping lapels
While single breasted suits are still prominent in social circles and the business world, a double breasted suit in neutral tones, such as a black double breasted suit or a grey double breasted suit, provides a confident and attractive way to stand out from the crowd for any formal engagement.
Choosing a Proper Double Breasted Suit
There have been some minor changes to the double breasted suit of eras past, such as side vents. However, the design and structure of the suit has remained largely the same. When purchasing a mens double breasted suit, there are a few things to look for and consider.
- Find a double breasted suit on which the longer lapel extends down to roughly waistline-level. This will create a more balance and proportional appearance that accents both the shoulders and waistline. It can also help to create an illusion of added height for those with small frames. If you are of a shorter build, avoid short lapels as this can make you look even smaller.
- Choose a peaked lapel for a more striking and pronounced look. While shawl lapels are available as well, they can create a more casual appearance. The shawl label tends to make a double breasted suit look more like an old fashioned smoker’s jacket than a classy and clean suit.
- Always have a double breasted suit tailored to fit your waist line. No matter what body style you might have, having the waistline fitted and tailored will provide a sleek and attractive appearance. For those with larger waistlines, consider a black double breasted suit with tailoring to create a slimmer, more toned appearance.
- Find contrasting accessories to make your look stand out. The majority of mens double breasted suits will be in black, grey or white. This makes finding ties, cufflinks and handkerchiefs to accent them a simple and highly-effective way of setting off your look.
Choosing one is just the primary part and wearing one is a bigger part. Just like other clothing, fashion trends issue some common rules in wearing the double breasted suit. It is important to relatively follow them for you to be considered as wearing them properly. Here are some of the tips and insights in wearing double breasted suits properly according to fashion experts.
Double Breasted Suit Do’s and Don’ts
- For white suits, consider a black or grey bowtie and simple patterned handkerchief.
- Don’t wear a double breasted suit without a tie.
- Don’t unbutton double breasted suits
- Grey suits pair equally well with both black and white accessories.
- Consider a simple splash of color, such as red, blue or royal purple for black double breasted suits to draw the eye and keep yourself in the center of the spotlight.
- Don’t wear button-down collars when wearing one as well.