Every time you visit a hospital or a health center, you will find health workers in their medical apparel. Apart from showing professionalism, these clothes also act as identification to the people who visit the health center. Although medical apparel may be used as a general term, it is important to know that these uniforms come in various types.
Types of Medical Apparel
Here are the types of medical apparel.
- Lab Coats – Lab coats are usually worn by laboratory staffs. These coats are specifically made to meet the needs of laboratories and to protect the wearer from any contaminants.
- Scrubs – Scrubs are mostly worn by nurses while disseminating their services. As you know nurses do a lot of work in the hospital. As a matter of fact, the services of the nurses cannot be ignored if a hospital has to run smoothly. You will find nurses preparing samples for the doctors, giving patients medicines and even preparing equipment in readiness for operation. Because of their expansive duties, they may be subjected to a lot of danger and that is where medical scrubs come to their rescue. Nowadays, there are various types of scrubs as the professionals seek comfort. For instance, holiday scrubs can be worn in the hospital and perform duties well but at an improved image. In addition, doctors also wear these scrubs if they have patients to operate.
- Doctors’ coats – These coats are worn by doctors while performing medical duties. When these are worn, they help patients in identifying their doctors. As other types of medical uniforms, doctors’ coats help in protecting the doctor from any contaminants. They also help in improving hygienic standards thus ensuring that the medication exercise is not compromised.
Features and Advantages of Medical Apparel
Most medical apparel is white although this may depend on the type. For instance holiday scrubs are not necessarily white because they are worn to perform the same function but bring a difference when it comes to designs and prints. The following are the advantages of medical apparel.
- One of the greatest advantages of medical apparel is improvement of hygiene. Medical practice is a very sensitive exercise that should be handled with care. During the exercise, there are many germs that can easily get their way through to the patient. For instance, wounded patients are vulnerable to transfer of germs which may exacerbate the disease. Medical apparel prevents this from happening.
- Another advantage of medical apparel is protection of the medical staffs. These people are exposed to many patients who suffer from different diseases which can easily get their way to the bodies of health workers. Such apparel play a major role in protecting medical staffs from contracting diseases most especially those that are highly contagious.
- Identification is also another advantage of medical apparel. Whenever you go to the hospital, your eyes will always give you a glimpse of the specific roles of the different health care professionals you see.
Medical apparel is considered an image that cannot fade away from hospitals. This is because of the benefits they have towards the profession at large.