A filter for a swimming pool is very important for maintaining your pool, and it is very important for a pool owner to buy one. A good swimming pool filter would really help maintain your pool whether its above ground or in-ground. This article will tell you what types of pool filter systems are available and what are recommended for your specific use.
Types of Pool Filter Systems
Basically, a pool filter system’s purpose is to remove dirt, debris and other unwanted material from your pool water. A filter system works with a swimming pool pump, which you can buy separately from the full filter system, or with a whole filter system. The pool pump forces water through the filter, catching unwanted material. Good swimming pool filter systems are very durable, easy to use, and don’t cost much to run it. There are three different types of pool filter systems, sand filters, cartridge/element filters, and diatomaceous earth or diatomite filters.
- Starting with the most common of the different types of swimming pool filters, sand filters. Dirty water goes through a sand bed that is in the filter, where debris is caught in the sand, the water is then sent back into the pool. Sand filters are easy to clean, runs at a low cost, and lasts up to five years. One drawback in the sand filter is that water isn’t as pure or polished as a diatomite or cartridge filter.
- Cartridge filters, they are easy to use, have low maintenance, and run at a cheap price. These filters have a removable and replaceable cartridge that you can simply drop into the filter. The cartridge needs to be occasionally cleaned, but this can be easily achieved with a garden hose. The filter’s cartage needs to be replaced every one to two years, but this depends on what kind of swimming pool you have and by how often you use it. Cartridge filters have a low initial cost and are easy to maintain. A disadvantage to this type of filter is that it can clog more quickly than other filters.
- Diatomaceous earth filters, these filters are the best types of pool filter systems out there. Diatomite filters are extremely effective with the removal of small particles, making the water almost pure when it is filtered. Diatomite is a natural, chalky sedimentary rock that is very light and is easily crushed into a fine powder. This powder is what is used in a diatomaceous earth filter. Some pros if a diatomite filter is the fact that you get extremely clean water quickly, this filter catches the smallest particles, purifying your water. Some cons include the high price for this filter and the fact that it needs to be replaced fairly often.
To buy all these types of swimming pool filters, it is recommend that you buy a Hayward pool filter. This particular brand of pool filters has a wide variety of any kind of pool filter that you are looking for. Filters from this company are made with colorfast-reinforced thermoplastic, making them dependable while still having a great value.
What are the best practices in cleaning a pool filter? Just because they are used for cleaning, that doesn’t mean that it doesn’t need its own day in the washroom. Pool filters are very important for the overall state of every pool. Without these vital pool equipment, the pool itself is at the mercy of germs and bacteria that will go uncheck into the water. That is why it is very important to learn some basic and helpful steps on how to clean pool filters.
Basic Cleaning Steps
Cleaning pool filters, especially the Hayward pool filter, is not too difficult. Here are the basic steps;
- Take the filter apart and remove it and then pressure wash the element housing.
- Soak the element in a bucket of 1/2 part water and 1/2 part filter element cleaner for one hour.
- Then take the filter element and soak it in a bucket of 1/2 part water and 1/2part of muriatic acid for 15 minutes to 1/2 an hour.
- Clean all visible debris from the housing and replace the element. Common sense should be used and a thorough cleaning using water is the most important part.
How to clean pool filters is not to hard or a complicated task. The best way is to clean the filter well and use plenty of water.
How to Clean Pool Filters With Basic Household Cleaning Products.
Take out the filter and rinse in with plenty of water. Clean the housing and soak the element in some type of cleaning solution. A person can use regular household cleaning products such as bleach. Make sure to rinse the filter well after soaking it and then replace.
Wash out the housing as clean as possible and one can even use an air compressor to blow out the filter. Cleaning the filter should not be done too many times before purchasing a new one. However; one can save a lot of money by periodically cleaning their filter in this way to extend the life of the filter. Make sure that if an air compressor is used that one does not blow holes in the filter with extensive air pressure..
The Purpose of Soaking a Filter.
By soaking a filter in a good cleaning solution as those mentioned above will take out the ground dirt and free up the filter so it can perform to its maximum capacity. Flushing the filter with water after soaking it is essential. One can accomplish a lot by using water and soap. In the long run a filter needs to be replaced once it becomes so dirty that it cannot accomplish the purpose it is made for.
It is always better to have a new filter but a person can save a lot of money by using these cleaning techniques. Common sense should always guide a person as to how long they have been using the same filter and when they should purchase a new one. If a filter appears to look good and the water in the pool is well cleaned, then one should not have to spend extra money on a new filter.
Homeowners often ask what they should do to keep their pools clean. Often, the best answer is to keep it covered in the off-season, clean it regularly, and install the best pool filter such as the Hayward pool filter. Since the weather and sun can wreak havoc on the pH balance of a pool, it’s important to not let larger particles and air pollutants settle into the water because they damage your pool’s clean appeal.
The Hayward Company
Are you looking for an experienced company with a successful and high quality history? Then Hayward is the brand you seek. Hayward Industries, Inc. is responsible for the genius behind the Hayward pool filterand they bring decades of experience to the plastic valve and flow control industry.Irving M. Hayward founded this New York based company in the early 1920’s and offered an array of metal valve products. It wasn’t until 40 years later that the management would see the value in thermoplastic manufacturing and create the prototypes to the current day engineering marvels they produce. In addition, if there will be problems with your filter, the company has readied Hayward pool filter parts to address your needs.
A filter helps strain large particulates out of the water to:
- Maintain clean pool water
- Keep the pool lining free of abrasive particles
- Moderate pool pH
It’s important to filter out debris to keep your in-ground or above-ground pool in pristine working condition.
For the standard homeowner’s pool, there are several options for filters. In above-ground and in-ground pool configurations, the following filters can suit your needs.
- Hayward Pool Filter Cartridges–Capable of filtration down to 10-15 microns, these filters require two seasonal cleanings and have lower back pressure than sand filters.
- Sand filters – Filtering out debris and cleaning your water down to 20 microns, you will no doubt enjoy the clear water of your pool using a sand filter.
- Diatomaceous Earth Filters – Tiny particles the size of just 2-5 microns may be filtered out with these filters. The husks of diatoms are used on the filter medium to strain out debris.
Importance of a Hayward Pool Filter
The Hayward filter is vital. With over 50 years of engineering excellence, these filters can strain out contaminants down to the 5 micron level. By keeping your pool free of debris, you ensure that people swimming in it don’t have skin reactions to foreign contaminants in the water. You also make certain that the pool water remains clean and that the pH balance remains in check. As particulates break down, they can throw off the chemical balance of your pool.
Appealing features of these products include:
- High-density ABS plastic – Rugged construction for years of dependable use
- Quick relief valve systems – To speed up maintenance times and run efficiently
- Large capacity tanks – So backwashing the filter system isn’t overly frequent. They can hold a lot of filter media as well as debris.
How to Choose a Pool Filter
The Hayward pool filteris an obvious choice for the pool owner. The easiest way to choose the one for you is to consider the facts.
- Pool capacity – How many gallons of water does your pool hold? This will affect the capacity of the filter.
- Filter type – Whether you choose sand, cartridge or even diatomaceous filter medium, this is something you may want to consult with your assigned Hayward representative.
- Cost – Filters of this caliber are not inexpensive. But considering the quality, dependability and necessity this is an investment that will protect your pool and give you peace of mind. There is no price tag you can place on comfort.
With each filter, you will have a valuable Hayward pool filter manualto refer you to any maintenance, troubleshooting, and general usage information. Your clean pool is only one Hayward product purchase away.