Any person facing anything out of the ordinary in his sleep is bound to suffer with a sleeping disorder. In medical terms, a sleep disorder is referred to as somnipathy. Sleep disorders are sometimes very serious and hamper the normal physical, mental and emotional functionality of the human body. There are different types of sleep disorders, the detailed s list of sleeping disorders are mentioned below. This sleeping disorders list should help you determine what you might be experiencing.
- Primary insomnia: chronic difficulty in falling and/or maintaining sleep.
- Bruxism: grinding the teeth involuntarily in sleep.
- Hypopnea syndrome: shallow breathing or low respiratory rate in sleep.
- Cataplexy: unexpected weakness in motor muscles that may result in collapse on floor.
- Night terror: abrupt awakening from sleep.
- Rapid eye movement behavior disorder: acting or narrating violent dreams in sleep.
- Sleep paralysis: temporary paralysis of certain parts of the body occurs for a brief period either before falling asleep or after waking up.
- Sleepwalking: walking or indulging in other physical activities without any conscious knowledge of the subject.
- Nocturia: the need to urinate very often in the night.
- Somniphobia: it refers to the fear of sleep.
- Restless leg syndrome: an irresistible urge to move the leg.
Out of all the different sleeping disorders mentioned above in the sleeping disorders list, insomnia is the most common and highly prevalent type of sleep disorder. A huge proportion of the young people who are not satisfied with sleep are victims of insomnia.
It is very easy to fall victim to any of the sleeping disorders mentioned in the above sleeping disorders list. Hence, sleep habits and daytime habits play a vital role in avoiding these problems. The necessary habits to be inculcated to curb the different sleeping disorders are keeping a very regular sleep schedule, setting aside ample time for sleep, having the right ambience for a calm and uninterrupted sleep and turning off the mobile phones and other electronic appliances which tend to produce sound very often. It is always best to avoid medication when the problem can be solved by small changes in our daily habits. Meeting a sleep doctor or consumption of any drugs should be opted as the last resort.
The sleeping disorders list is growing by the hour. Stern attitude towards the advice offered by people of knowledge and self-medication are the prime causes for such a large number of people suffering from various types of sleeping disorders. With a proper plan and organized way of life, the unwanted wrath of sleeping disorders can always be avoided.