A dry scalp is characterized by white flakes or scales falling off from the head. This is caused by many things from habits such as over-washing the hair and too much use of hot water during washing to skin diseases such as scalp psoriasis, eczema, and contact dermatitis. People who have this condition may need to moisturize their scalp more and a good shampoo for dry scalp may help with this.
Qualities to look for in a dry scalp shampoo
Dry scalps need moisturizing that may not be delivered by a regular drugstore shampoo or conditioner. Some hair specialists have created shampoos that address dry scalp problems. If you are looking for a dry scalp shampoo, here are the features that you should look for:
1. The shampoo should have ingredients mild enough for the scalp. Regular shampoos often have ingredients that clean the head yet strip off the natural oils of the hair and scalp, worsening the condition.
2. Select a shampoo that contains mild astringents such as chamomile, citrus oil, tea tree oil, or rosemary. Moisturizing shampoos may feel greasy on the hair and these astringents help take away the grease from the hair follicles, leaving your scalp hydrated and your hair soft.
Best brands available
- Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special Shampoo – Its tea tree leaf oil ingredient soothes itchiness and inflammations brought by a dry scalp. It is able to cleanse and moisturize the scalp without removing natural oils. It also contains peppermint oil that invigorates and gives a refreshing feeling after rinsing. Also, this product is color-safe so it can be used by those who have dyed their hair.
- John Frieda Root Awakening Hydrate + Nourish Shampoo – This shampoo for dry scalp and hair cleanses while retaining its moisturizing properties. Eucalyptus oil cleanses and refreshes the scalp, and hydrates it with continuous use. Peppermint extract invigorates and moisturizes dry hair that is prone to breakage and frizz. The result is soft, manageable and strong hair with a refreshed and soothed scalp. This shampoo is also safe for those with colored hair.
- Neutrogena Triple Moisture Dry Scalp Soothing Shampoo – This was dubbed as the best shampoo for dry flaky scalp by many consumers. Its pyrithione zinc content helps remove flaking while mint extract relieves itching and refreshes the scalp. This shampoo also contains apricot and sweet almond extracts that prevents dryness by moisturizing and nourishing the scalp and hair.
- Selsun Blue Shampoo for Itchy Dry Scalp – This shampoo boasts of its HYDRAMAX content, a combination of moisturizers and vitamins to nourish, hydrate, and revitalize the scalp. Its pyrithione zinc content helps eliminate dandruff and itching. It also gives your hair a soft feeling and a clean, fresh scent. Many consumer reviews have rated this as the best shampoo for dry scalp.
When looking for shampoo for dry scalp, always check the label for ingredients that you have known allergies with. Choose one that is mild enough to use everyday or efficient enough to use every other week. If your dry scalp persists, talk to your doctor for possible medications and professional advice.