How can you maintain the health of your nails? Nails are quite important as they help manage little problems such as scratching an itch and even picking up small items. In addition, nails make the fingers and toes look beautiful, especially in the case of women. To ensure that your nails remain healthy and clean, there are various nail care tips that you can apply.
Nail Care Tips
To keep your nails healthy, strong and clean, follow the tips below.
- It is essential to avoid biting your nails. Biting the nails is known to weaken the nail bed and cuticle, which play a significant role in ensuring that your fingers and nails do not get infections. It also breaks the skin around the nails.
- Make sure to always keep your nails short. Short nails are easy to clean and do not keep dirt beneath the nails in contrast with long nails. Also, short nails are not prone to breakage.
- If you have brittle nails, you should take supplements or diets rich in vitamins. This is because brittle nails are a sign of unhealthy nails and poor nutrition. It can also be as a result of lack of moisture on your nails. Therefore, apply clear nail polish as this will help in retaining the nails’ moisture.
- When cleaning your nails, it is advisable to use a nail brush. This is because the nail brush is soft and is able to remove dirt, bacteria and dead skin without affecting your nails.
- Always wear socks made of absorbent material like cotton. Cotton absorbs moisture thus ensuring your feet are not damp. This prevents fungal infections on your nails and feet too. Also, ensure to air your shoes regularly to prevent the shoes from being damp.
Other nail care tips include:
- Keeping your hands and areas around the nails hydrated throughout by using hand lotions and moisturizers.
- When dealing with chemicals such as bleach, wear protective gear like hand gloves.
- Avoid pulling off hangnails as this can result in tearing of the skin around the nail bed, making it prone to infections.
- Always dry your fingernails and toenails thoroughly after bathing or swimming then apply moisturizer afterwards.
- To prevent chipping of the nail cuticles at the top of the nails, apply white nail polish as this not only offers prevention but also enhances the appearance of your nails.
Therefore, to ensure that your nails are clean, strong and healthy, follow the above nail care tips. A healthy and beautifully maintained nails give a lasting impression of how you take care of yourself and your hygiene too.