Having a cast iron tub right at home allows for one to enjoy a perfect little spa moment after a long and tiring day. To spice things up, one can use aromatherapy oils into their bath water for that ultimate relaxation, in their cast iron bath tub.
What is a cast iron tub?
A cast iron tub is a bathroom accessory that is made out of cast iron covered with enamel for the perfect finish. It originated in the USA in the 1870s and comes in various shapes and sizes e.g.; classic, double ended, slipper, double slipper and pedestal. They are designed as standalone (clawfoot) or fixed.
The cast iron tub is good value for money in that it is durable without needing maintenance. It is wise to invest in a high quality brand that will save time and money in future. There are instances where one may need to renovate a tub that has been around for quite some time.
Refinishing a cast iron tub is not a DIY job as it requires some technical expertise. To save on costs, it is better for the work to be done on site. The total average cost for the refinish cast iron tub will range from $350 to $500, while purchasing a new one will cost anywhere from $1200 to $5000.
Acrylic vs Cast Iron
Apart from cast iron, another material used to make tubs is acrylic. Here is a comparison between acrylic vs. cast iron tub,
- Acrylic is made out of synthetic material and is relatively crack and chip resistant; the other is made out of molded iron, making it scratch and dent resistant.
- The cost of an acrylic tub ranges from $400 to $4000 while a cast iron tub price is from $1,200 to $5000.Acrylic tubs can be a DIY project as they are easier to install in the house, however, cast iron has to be installed by professionals due to its weight.
- The floor should also be sturdy and stable to hold the weight of the cast iron tub.
- Metals are better heat conductors than synthetic materials hence the metal tub will keep the water warm longer than the synthetic one.
Cast iron tubs can be made into soaker tubs. These are tubs that have more depth than the regular tubs found in the market. When purchasing a soaker tub it is important to consider the following;
- The space available for allocating the tub
- The quality of the tub
- Cost implications
Some of the renowned soaker tub manufacturers worth visiting when purchasing a soaker tub are Kohler and Sterling among others. Apart from cast iron, other materials are used to make the tubs. This tub allows one to comfortably soak in the whole body as opposed to the regular tub which one has to slide into.
The cast iron tub is a preferred choice for many due to its durability and almost maintenance-free. It may be costly at first, but looking at it from the long term position, it is an investment worth making. As long as it is used for the purpose it was meant for and cleaned properly after use, it will serve many generations to come.