Japanese landscaping ideas are extremely popular for their unique features and heavenly beauty. People from everywhere admire the garden styles, bold use of different elements and architectures. Even the basic design types represent glorious culture and architectural supremacy of Japan. Certain elements, structural designs, traditional themes and a complete harmony in the architecture have together made these Japanese landscaping ideas being implemented worldwide. Explore some essential information about the popular Japanese landscaping ideas and how to practice these exclusive Japanese themes in your garden.
Features of Popular Japanese Landscaping Ideas
There are three major landscaping themes developed and practiced in Japan since the ancient days. These can be described as the following:
- Karensansui or dry rock gardens
- Tsukiyama or hill rock gardens
- Chaniwa or tea gardens
Each of these has its own concentration of elements and features distinguishing properties. Other popular types of Japanese gardens can be listed as: Pond garden, Paradise garden, Hermitage garden, Tsubo-niwa courtyard garden, Promenade garden etc.
Japanese landscapes are inspired from Chinese ideas. Later, these Japanese ideas flourished in their own styles. The aesthetic principles have made the Japanese garden architecture introduce a distinct type in the arena. The principles lie on few basic pillars that carry the significance.
- First of all, these landscapes in Japan are perfect miniature models of nature where rocks represent natural mountains and ponds represent the oceans.
- Another major feature is miegakure or concealment. This denotes planned hideouts in the landscapes to allow a visitor enjoy the scenario like a rolling painting work. Hidden hills, tree grooves and wall structures are used for making windy paths through the garden.
- Incorporating the views outside the garden allows the space appear larger. This characteristic is termed as Shakkei or borrowed scenery.
- Asymmetry is possibly the most important feature of these landscapes. The contrasting angles, zigzag axes and use of different features without maintaining a proportion allow these landscapes to be contrasting and asymmetrical in nature.
Several elements are considered as the integral part of these landscapes. Perfect use of these elements can induce an authentic feel. Creative gardeners and designers have used these elements in different parts of the world and imitated Japanese landscape ideas. Some of these must have items are: water, rocks of different sizes, sand, garden bridges, stone lanterns, water basins, garden fences, clumping bamboo, trees, flowers, garden gates, devices, water basins, fishes and other small living animals and most importantly, a plan of garden architecture.
How to Implement Japanese Landscaping Ideas
Below are tips for enthusiast gardeners on how to implement Japanese landscaping ideas.
- Research on the popular types and orientations first. You can learn about the designs and aesthetic principles online.
- You should learn about the essential elements clearly. You have to learn how to manage and maintain those stuffs.
- You need to concentrate on proper maintenance works too. You need to learn about the standard protocols to maintain the architecture professionally.
Some universities and learning centers are offering courses to help you learn about the methods and steps precise. If you are really interested in these, consider learning first. And once you have learned, you will realize that working with these Japanese landscaping ideas is a great source of inspiration and perception.