Many women love fashion and would do just about anything for a collection of their own Badgley Mischka dresses. Even if you’re not willing to hand over your entire month’s salary for a few new wardrobe pieces, you’ll still want to learn the proper dress etiquette for women.
Dress etiquette for women often focuses on basic wardrobe staples that every woman should have in her closet.
- Dark jeans can be both casual and chic. Pair them with a basic t-shirt for the day and a silky camisole for the evening.
- Thin cardigan sweaters can be worn over a long sleeved button down shirt for a cozy look.
- Fitted blazers make even casual outfits perfect for business meetings or dinner out.
- While it sounds cliche, a little black dress really should be part of your wardrobe. You can make the same simple black dress look different every time you wear it by pairing it with different shoes and accessories.
Mistakes to Avoid
- Clothing shouldn’t be too tight or too loose. If your clothing is stretching and rippling, it’s too snug. If you notice your pants dragging on the ground, they’re too baggy.
- Undergarments should never be showing, unless you purposely want an ornate bra to peek out of your shirt. Proper dress etiquette for women leans toward the conservative more than the showy.
- While lounge clothing can be super comfy, avoid wearing it unless it’s laundry day.
- While fit and style is important, it’s also okay to break some fashion rules for the sake of following your own style. For example, not wearing white after Labor Day isn’t a hard and fast rule that must be adhered to.
Important Appearance Details
No matter how great your ensemble may be, nobody will notice it if the rest of you is a mess. Dress etiquette for women goes beyond the clothes and takes the whole package into consideration. Your hair, nails, makeup and accessories all play a big role in how people view you.
- Your hair doesn’t have to always be perfect, but make sure it’s always clean and styled.
- Make sure to not have chipped nails. Either invest in regular manicures or make sure to redo your polish as soon as it begins to chip. A quick, easy fix is to wear clear nail polish when you’re in a rush.
- Don’t overdo your makeup. Less is more.
- Wear accessories that coordinate and complement your outfit instead of overwhelming it.