It is very important to take care of your skin when you go surfing or swimming in the ocean. Your body needs to be comfortable and warm at the same time. Along with that, it is important to be protected from rashes that you may get while surfing. Sun protection on the other hand is also a must. To make sure you are covering each of these factors, you need the right kind of clothing when you go surfing. There are many different options for you to choose from and what choose pick between rash guards vs wetsuits mainly depends on your preference. Here is some information about each so that you can decide between rash guards vs wetsuits yourself without having to take others’ opinions.
- Rash guards, as the name suggests, keep you safe from rashes. They are extremely protective and for that reason, some people even use them for land-based activities too. However, they are at their best during water-based activities and sports.
- Rashes while in water can be brutal. The surf wax can cause serious rashes and so can the sun. The sun’s radiations can be very harmful and wearing a good SPF is a must. However, with a good quality rash guard, you don’t need an SPF. This is because these guards come with SPF protection. They protect you from the sun as you enjoy your time in the ocean.
- The downside here is that a rash guard will not keep you warm. This is where wetsuits score above rash guards in rash guards vs wetsuits.
- The best part is that they are very comfortable. Comfort must always come first when you are surfing and having fun in the ocean.
- When you buy rash guards, make sure you buy darker colors so that they are more protective. You can find various choices of rash guards for men to pick from.
- Wetsuits are made out of a material named neoprene and they allow only one-way flow of water. This means that water can enter them but it can’t leave them. This is helpful because water that enters is heated by the body temperature and like an extra layer of skin against the cold water in the ocean. The fact that they keep you warm is the biggest plus against rash guards.
- Wetsuits are generally black in color to provide extra protection.
- Even though they are not designed to avoid rashes in particular, they keep rashes away anyway because they are quite protective.
- These suits are very affordable.
- On the downside, these suits don’t last long. They are delicate and can break very easily.
- They are also extremely tight and many don’t find them comfortable.
Through all these points, it is up to you to decide between rash guards vs wetsuits. It all depends on your comfort level and your needs. If you are the type who has an ultra sensitive skin and craves for comfort, you might want to opt for rash guards. However, if you are the type who has a hard time tolerating cold conditions, then opt for a wetsuit as it keeps you warmer compared to rash guards.