Compressed natural gas, referred to as CNG, is one of the top alternative fuels for green drivers who want to limit the use of gasoline and petroleum fuels. CNG also reduces the amount of harmful gas emissions from a vehicle. However, the Honda Civic GX is the only passenger vehicle that runs on CNG and that’s available to be purchased by the public. This means that the majority of people who want to switch to CNG must use one of several CNG conversion kits to make the change.
CNG Conversion Kits Advantages and Disadvantages
- CNG conversion kits can be very costly. It’s not cheap to convert a car to run on a completely different fuel source.
- However, drivers may save more in the long run on gasoline after undergoing natural gas conversion than they spend on the CNG conversion kits. It’s important to do the math and compare costs to find out if you’ll actually be saving money.
- In some geographic areas, CNG refueling stations aren’t available.
- CNG can lower the cost of maintenance for your car because CNG is clean-burning. This means that you won’t have to get as many tune ups for your engine, change oils, or replacement parts.
CNG Conversion Kits for Sale
Many US companies now offer CNG conversion kits for cars and CNG conversion kits for trucks. CNG United, for example, sells these conversion kits as well as CNG cylinders and tanks. The best part is that some of these companies will actually install the kits for you so that you don’t have to risk causing damage to your car.
Items Included in a Conversion Kit
CNG conversion kits include everything you need to make the change to your vehicle. However, if you’re not familiar with working on cars, you may want to leave this job to a professional.
The following items are included in a basic conversion kit:
- Advanced time processor
- Close loop feed back system
- Extra fittings
- Filling nozzle
- Fuel changeover switch
- High pressure tube with fittings
- Hoses and clamps
- Mounting straps
- Pressure gauges
CNG tanks and cylinders not included in conversion kits and must be bought separately. There are many different sizes and kinds cylinders and tanks to choose from. Cylinder valves are also not included in the kit and must be bought separately. Always look for cylinders and tanks certified by the DOT.