Dry scalp is caused by a number of things such as harsh winter weather, poor diet and hair products. A woman can spend a lot of money looking for hair products and remedies for dandruff and dry skin to no avail. Your dry scalp problem will be resolved when you know the exact causes and treatments for dry scalp.
Dry Scalp and Its Treatment
The following are some of the causes and treatments for dry scalp.
- Dry winter weather – This is manifested by excessive shedding of scalp cells located at the back of the head, hairline and on top of the head. This can be treated using hair conditioner for dry scalp.
- Using excessive shampoo – Some shampoos are harsh and the more you use them the more it leads to dry scalp. Therefore, you can reduce the number of times you shampoo. When you shampoo, use a small amount only.
- Dandruff – Skin condition such as this is characterized by flaking skin cells. It is accompanied by severe itching, which leaves the skin irritated. This can be treated using anti-dandruff shampoos and hair conditioners.
- Excessive heat on the scalp – Excessive heat can irritates the skin, making it dry out. This occurs often in salons by frequent use of blow dryers. You can solve this by air drying.
- Prolonged exposure to the sun – The sun’s UV radiation is harmful to the skin and can cause the skin on the scalp to dry. You can prevent this by wearing a cap during the summer season to protect your hair or tying a head gear whenever you go out in the hot weather.
- Fungal and bacterial infections – These infections can be treated using medicated shampoo for dry scalp. These shampoos have anti bacterial and antifungal agents that are helpful in killing microbes that cause drying of the scalp.
Natural Treatments for Dry Scalp
The following are additional treatments for dry scalp.
- Massaging the scalp is a natural remedy for dry scalp. It increases blood flow and opens up blocked pores. It loosens the dry cells making them easier to wash off, therefore, leaving your scalp healthy.
- Another natural treatment for dry scalp is applying olive oil to the scalp. Apply the olive oil on the scalp and wrap your hair in a towel. Leave it for fifteen minutes then wash in lukewarm water.
- You can also massage your scalp with vinegar. This helps in restoring and balancing the pH of the hair’s natural oils.
- Dried herbs such as calendula, burdock and witch hazel are a few traditional herbs that can be used to treat dry scalp.
With the above causes and treatments for dry scalp, you now know several ways on how to get rid of such and how to prevent it from reoccurring. A healthy scalp creates a beautiful hair that smells good.