You might be enjoying drives on your vehicle but have you ever thought of maintaining it yourself? The first thing that is needed to do for its maintenance is changing its oil which you can do yourself by following certain DIY oil change steps. Though it seems to be a difficult task but it can be made easy through these steps.
You may need some materials that may be required during the DIY oil change steps to make it easy and workable. Materials needed include:
- Adjustable strap wrench
- Oil drain pan
- Adjustable oil filter
- 1 new filter
- New oil
DIY Oil Change Steps
You will have to follow DIY oil change steps listed below to make the process easy and satisfactory.
- You should first of all turn the engine on before starting the DIY oil change procedure to warm up the oil. But be careful as it will warm up the whole car as you have to go underneath to search the drain out plug of the car.
- After finding the drain plug, put the drain pan under it and loosen the plug with the help of adjustable wrench to drain out the used oil. Remove the plug completely to drain out all the oil into the pan.
- Remove the used filter with the help of adjustable strap wrench while the used oil drains out. You have to adjust the strap of the wrench to effectively catch the filter and loosen it. End up the removal of filter using your hands. Put the filter in drain oil pan to drain out its oil. Now you have to clean the area and replace the plug after the completion of oil draining process. Usually people forget this step, but it is important to clean up completely. If you forget it then the pool of black oil coming out of that opening near your shoes will make you remember it in the future.
- Now take the new filter and spread a thin film of new oil on the rubber gasket fixed at the opening of the filter by dipping your fingers in the new oil. It will ensure the setting and proper lubrication of the new filter.
- You will have to replace the old oil filter with a new one on the engine mount without using the strap wrench as it may damage the filter gasket. It can be tightened easily by hand.
- After fixing the oil filter properly, you can now pour the new oil into the valve cover through the oil port. The level of oil must be a bit lower than specified in the user’s manual. You can check the level using the dipstick. Everything will get settled within a few minutes.
- Leave your car idle for few minutes and check the leakage underneath. Now start your vehicle and check the leakage again.
Thus, you can complete the DIY oil change steps successfully. Next time, when you need to change the oil, you should do that yourself and save some bucks.