If you own an American Express credit card, chances are you’re familiar with the American Express rewards system. However, you may want to learn the ins and outs of American Express tickets and other rewards to make sure you’re getting the most out of your card. While most credit card companies offer some sort of rewards to their users, the American Express rewards system has every perk, from vacationing to shopping.
American Express Points
You may also be looking into signing up for your next credit card and wondering which company offers the best rewards.
- For every dollar you spend on your American Express card, you’ll get one rewards point. The more often you use your American Express credit card, the more rewards you’ll get in return.
- Save up your points to redeem them for rewards later on.
- American Express rewards doesn’t have an expiration date, so you can save them up for years before cashing them in.
- There isn’t any rewards points cap.
- By purchasing items from certain companies or shopping for particular brands, you can multiply the amount of points you earn per dollar. American Express partners up with companies to entice shoppers to buy certain brands.
- By using the Points Advance option, you can get points now before you even earn them.
Types of Rewards
While different cards offer different kinds of rewards, most rewards fall into the same categories: dining, entertainment, shopping and travel.
Shopping and Dining Rewards
- Redeem rewards points to get tickets for sporting events like tennis and ice skating.
- Purchase tickets to see live music using your American Express rewards.
- Rewards can be redeemed for special holiday dinners, like on Valentine’s Day.
- American Express partners with companies to offer exclusive, limited-time rewards for certain brands.
Entertainment and Travel Rewards
- Travel rewards can be used on just about any airline.
- Aside from flights, you can also use American Express points to book hotel rooms and get hotel amenities, like spa treatments.
- Modes of travel other than air travel can be paid for with rewards points. For example, you can take a cruise and pay for your ticket with American Express points.
- You don’t need the full amount of rewards points to pay for travel. You can pay for your travel and accommodations partially with your rewards points and partially with your own money or credit. Ease the price of a big ticket item with rewards points from American Express.