The unpredictable changes of weather conditions can be a reason for severe health problems. A common instance is when the rainy season turns out to be a hot, sunny one after all. Also, the summer heat sometimes turns out to be extreme and thus people need an air conditioning system to cool off. Moreover, a portable air conditioner can be used to cool certain parts of the home or office space easily and efficiently.
Portable air conditioners are movable, thus, they do not need to be installed. They can relieve the agony of enduring extreme heat when using a stand fan is not enough. Its portable air cooling machine provides a modular cooling system without being bulky like a standard a/c.
Advantages of Portable Air Conditioners
Like any other appliance found in your room, using a portable air conditioner also has rewards and limitations. Here are some of the advantages that you could get with portable air conditioners.
- The fact that it is portable means that it can cool a certain space now and cool another area later. This is advantageous for situations such as an undersized central air conditioning system that does not cool the whole house especially the rooms upstairs; a really hot room with which a standard a/c cannot provide sufficient cooling; and an empty room transformed into a work room or a library.
- Unlike window-mounted air conditioners, a portable air conditioner will save you some money from installation costs.
- It is not bulky and takes only a small space in a certain area. A portable air conditioner can be placed by the wall or in a center of a room; its placement depends on personal preferences.
- Portable air conditioners are quite noisy since the air cooling components are all inside the appliance, unlike window-mounted types where most of the machine’s components are placed outside. However, this is mostly noticed in older models.
- They cost more than standard air conditioners in terms of purchasing and operating.
The Best Portable Air Conditioners
These portable air conditioners are among the best as rated by consumers from many online appliance retailers.
- Amana Ai98768 – It has 7,000 BTUs to cool a room size of 10 feet x 16 feet. This Amana air conditioning system uses a continuous air sweep and multidirectional airflow for better room cooling. It also has three cooling speeds and has a remote control for easy access. This remote control, however, is always needed to operate the machine as it has no buttons on the appliance itself.
- Whynter ARC-13S – At a dimension of about 2 square feet, this portable air conditioner can be perfectly hidden in plain view. It has 12,000 BTUs (British Thermal Units) to cool about 420 square feet of space and can double as a dehumidifier. It is not lightweight at 80 pounds but its integrated handle makes its portability even more convenient.
- MobilComfort KY-80 – Portable air conditioner reviews rate this product with 4.7 out of 5 stars. It is the slimmest and most compact portable a/c reviewed by consumers that it is able to fit nicely in tight spaces. This cheap portable air conditioner has 8,000 BTUs to cool a 125-square foot room and can be used as a dehumidifier. Some consumers however complained that the condenser tank easily fills up and overflows so periodic emptying is needed.
Other common brands of portable air conditioners that also provide a convenient cooling system are the following:
If you want to instantly cool a hot room but do not want to install mounted types, a portable air conditioner may be your best friend. When choosing a portable a/c, always check out the specifications and other product details first so that you won’t waste money on features you do not actually need.